First you take some scrap lumber
First you get some IPE scraps from a local deck & dock company

Carefully pick through the stack of offcuts, and cut your parts.

Cut the tenons.

If you don't own a mortising machine, and the thought of chiseling out all those mortises in rock hard IPE sounds like drudgery, you cheat.

Glue up overnight and sand.

Finish with an exterior oil and call it done.

Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.
That is a real beauty. I have seen IPE and thought it was a beautiful wood nice work.
(05-11-2020, 02:40 PM)Terry W Wrote: Finish with an exterior oil and call it a beautifully done project.

Corrected for accuracy...
Perfect example of trash to treasure. Great result!

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Definitely very nice.  And now you have entered the world of never ending maintenance required to keep it looking good. 

John
Great way to save those scraps. Good looking bench
(05-11-2020, 02:40 PM)Terry W Wrote: First you get some IPE scraps from a local deck & dock company

Carefully pick through the stack of offcuts, and cut your parts.

Cut the tenons.

If you don't own a mortising machine, and the thought of chiseling out all those mortises in rock hard IPE sounds like drudgery, you cheat.

Glue up overnight and sand.

Finish with an exterior oil and call it done.

Nicely done.  I have a milk crate full of 18" scraps and a couple of large 2x8 ipe pieces the milk crate is left over from my porch the other was headed for a dumpster when I found it.  What type glue did you use?
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(05-11-2020, 09:17 PM)jteneyck Wrote: Definitely very nice.  And now you have entered the world of never ending maintenance required to keep it looking good. 

John

John,  I knew that going in. To be honest after this initial finish, I'll probably just let go a natural gray.
(05-12-2020, 01:43 AM)Bob10 Wrote: Nicely done.  I have a milk crate full of 18" scraps and a couple of large 2x8 ipe pieces the milk crate is left over from my porch the other was headed for a dumpster when I found it.  What type glue did you use?

Bob, I used Titebond III.  Because Ipe is so dense and oily, I was considering epoxy but, a quick google search showed that people have had good long term success with Titebond III.
(05-12-2020, 06:40 AM)Terry W Wrote: Bob, I used Titebond III.  Because Ipe is so dense and oily, I was considering epoxy but, a quick google search showed that people have had good long term success with Titebond III.

titebond III is the only glue I use. May be slightly more expensive but it is food safe and it is what a lot of guys use for skateboards so I can not recommend titebond III enough