First you take some scrap lumber
(05-12-2020, 09:32 AM)briman87 Wrote: titebond III is the only glue I use.  May be slightly more expensive but it is food safe and it is what a lot of guys use for skateboards so I can not recommend titebond III enough

You might be surprised to see how poor TB III does at elevated temperature.  TB II is actually a better choice, and polyurethane glue even better.  TB III is not a wonder drug in outdoor applications subjected to much temperature and stress.  If I built skateboards I would never even consider it.  

Look up the elevated temp. data for Titebond's various glues.  

John
I have worked with IPE, and it is like working with iron. But I really can't stand the smell of it.
Oz
S.E. Alabama, formerly from Wisconsin.
(05-12-2020, 10:47 PM)Wizard of Oz Wrote: I have worked with IPE, and it is like working with iron.  But I really can't stand the smell of it.
Oz

The yellow snot it produces is awful and can leave your nose pretty chewed up.  The things you do before you know how wrong you are 
doing it.  There was  a contractor giving away about 150 ft of 1x6  just last week not all that far from me.  Truck is loaded with a large piece of granite and 12' plus lengths are a bit long for the Odyssey so I passed.  My porch is probably 21 years old no rot never had a sealer or oil as at the time no one had anything that would last more than a year so letting it go gray was the choice
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

(05-12-2020, 11:07 PM)Bob10 Wrote: The yellow snot it produces is awful and can leave your nose pretty chewed up.  The things you do before you know how wrong you are 
doing it.  There was  a contractor giving away about 150 ft of 1x6  just last week not all that far from me.  Truck is loaded with a large piece of granite and 12' plus lengths are a bit long for the Odyssey so I passed.  My porch is probably 21 years old no rot never had a sealer or oil as at the time no one had anything that would last more than a year so letting it go gray was the choice

Yes, some people are affected really badly by the dust.  I wasn't, but the splinters hurt worse than any others I can remember, and I got quite a few of them when I built my deck with it a few years ago.  Heavy, heavy stuff, but I didn't find it any harder to work with than other dense woods.  My chop saw blade made it through the whole project before needing to be resharpened, and the deck is over 400 sq. ft, plus benches, planter boxes, and steps.  I would have happily taken that contractor's offer of free wood.  

John
(05-13-2020, 09:14 AM)jteneyck Wrote: Yes, some people are affected really badly by the dust.  I wasn't, but the splinters hurt worse than any others I can remember, and I got quite a few of them when I built my deck with it a few years ago.  Heavy, heavy stuff, but I didn't find it any harder to work with than other dense woods.  My chop saw blade made it through the whole project before needing to be resharpened, and the deck is over 400 sq. ft, plus benches, planter boxes, and steps.  I would have happily taken that contractor's offer of free wood.  

John

If the truck wasn't already loaded down I would have went after it.  It will happen again space is the costly thing here.
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Very nice.  My wife would want me to make two of them for the porch.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.