Plane Making
I have been thinking about this project for a few months now. The first hurdle was tapered irons. LN offers tapered irons, but they are not exactly what I wanted. From what I have seen, plough planes seem to have thicker irons than side escarpment planes. I started with a piece of 1/4" 1/4" O1 steel and using a Dremel and hacksaw, cut one piece into two tapered blanks. I cleaned them up with a file, btu they still need more work as well as grooving the back side to fit the iron skate.

I have quite a bit of 1/4 sawn beech laying around for plane making. I think I should have drilled/cut the mortise first, but we will see how the mortise turns out with the base already cut. I am using a narrower match plane that was gifted to me by a fellow woodnetter as a model.  

Still a long way to go. I had to use the drill press as the bench is full of the current project waiting on the finish to cure a few more days. 

Anyone have an idea on the screw size I will need for the skate? #10 or #12? I will have to order them and can figure out the length, just not sure on the size.

(05-14-2020, 07:17 PM)Scoony Wrote: I have been thinking about this project for a few months now. The first hurdle was tapered irons. LN offers tapered irons, but they are not exactly what I wanted. From what I have seen, plough planes seem to have thicker irons than side escarpment planes. I started with a piece of 1/4" 1/4" O1 steel and using a Dremel and hacksaw, cut one piece into two tapered blanks. I cleaned them up with a file, btu they still need more work as well as grooving the back side to fit the iron skate.

I have quite a bit of 1/4 sawn beech laying around for plane making. I think I should have drilled/cut the mortise first, but we will see how the mortise turns out with the base already cut. I am using a narrower match plane that was gifted to me by a fellow woodnetter as a model.  

Still a long way to go. I had to use the drill press as the bench is full of the current project waiting on the finish to cure a few more days. 

Anyone have an idea on the screw size I will need for the skate? #10 or #12? I will have to order them and can figure out the length, just not sure on the size.
I would go with a #10/32..Easier to find and will put more threads in thinner stock...32 as opposed to 24TPI...
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(05-14-2020, 07:42 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ................................
I would go with a #10/32..Easier to find and will put more threads in thinner stock...32 as opposed to 24TPI...

Thanks, I went back and looked in the book and it said to use #10. I wll have to look for the finer thread pitch. Looking at McMaster Carr, they have #10 x 3/4 but in 13 pitch.   3/4" may be a tad bit long, but I can always trim the tip back.   Any other sources for screws?
These guys have #10 slotted flatheads in 1/2 and 5/8" -

https://www.boltdepot.com/Wood_screws_Sl...el_10.aspx

But it seems you should be able to find similar screws locally.
https://www.blacksmithbolt.com/

These guys have unplated screws.
After working on the first blank for a while, I realized that would be easier to get the mortise mostly completed prior to making the series of cuts to the bottom. I also realize that I had that first blank backwards in relations to the grain. No loss, I can resaw that blank into wedge material. 

I started with a fresh blank and made a jig to assist with drilling the holes for the mortise. I found a 12" long 3/16" drill bit locally and cut it down to 6" so I could get it through the blank.  I need to make a third wedge to dill a middle hole to make removing the material easier. 

Got the wedge initially fitted and will cut the bottom and start on the skate this coming week. I did take a 1/4" Irwin chisel and grind the tip into a scraper. Amazing how well it works at removing thin shaving of wood. 

Made the series of cuts to the bottom of the plane. I don't have a picture of the profile at the moment. Also started on the skate pieces. 

The bed as a bit of a bump that I need to flatten out, but otherwise the wedge holds the blade very securely. I need to dothe final clean-up of the blade and fit the rear skate to fit the groove in the rear of the blade. 

Drawer bottom plane?
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(05-19-2020, 02:14 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: Drawer bottom plane?

Yes. The plane I am using as a model is a match plane and cuts a narrow groove 3/8" deep. This one I am making will cut a groove 1/4" deep.

I am now at the point to where I need to finish up the blade and shape the cut-out on the front skate. I have it roughed out, but it needs a lot of refinement.
Afraid mine is a bit too blocky....for being made back in 1864....

G. Roseboom..

May have been part of a set...

and...may have worked with a tongue plane, as a Match Set.
What screws I could remove (was splitting the fence) never had a point on them. 

BTW: I left the screws for the skate alone....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that