Who can sharpen a vintage Disston saw
I have a large remainder of old saws. I would like toi have a few sharpened. At least a rip and a crosscut saw.
After a series of 8 estate sales I ended up with over 300 saws. 
they have neen stashed away in corners and the attic.
I have found some nice ones and I want to have a few sharpened. 
I would appreciate some advice on who I should use.
(05-16-2020, 08:34 AM)Jack in omaha Wrote: I have a large remainder of old saws. I would like toi have a few sharpened. At least a rip and a crosscut saw.
After a series of 8 estate sales I ended up with over 300 saws. 
they have neen stashed away in corners and the attic.
I have found some nice ones and I want to have a few sharpened. 
I would appreciate some advice on who I should use.

I sent a few to Bob Rozaieski at Logan cabinet shop a few years ago. Reasonably priced and came back sharp, ar at least sharp to me. I don't know if he is still doing this or not, this was quite a while back.
With that many saws... get yourself, or make, a saw vise, and some good files (grobet or bacho) with a good sharp 'v' edge not rounded, then give it a go. Rip are easiest to learn, since all you need do is keep the file square to the plate. Once you get rip saws down then give crosscuts a try. Find a lesser valued saw that has fairly good teeth, equal and regular. Match the angles and dont be in a hurry. Lots of videos on how to as well as information on which size file to use on which saw.
Train to be miserable...
that way when the real misery starts you won't notice.
Bob Summerfield out in Missoula, MT.
Winkgrin
   runs
Rocky Mountain Saw Works....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
Bob Page (enjuneer on this forum) does excellent work.
(05-16-2020, 09:31 AM)grwold Wrote: Bob Page (enjuneer on this forum) does excellent work.

Another vote for Bob.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-16-2020, 10:29 AM)Admiral Wrote: Another vote for Bob.

Thanks guys! It looks like I have more work headed my way.

For Tool Guys, the term "Stay-at-Home" translates to "Stay-in-Shop" and that's fine by me. It is the best form of self-isolation.
Bob Page
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
In da U.P. of Michigan
www.loonlaketoolworks.com
(05-16-2020, 03:04 PM)enjuneer Wrote: Thanks guys! It looks like I have more work headed my way.

For Tool Guys, the term "Stay-at-Home" translates to "Stay-in-Shop" and that's fine by me. It is the best form of self-isolation.

Glad you chimed in since I was going to recommend you also by your reputation since I have not had one done by you yet but hopefully since almost all I have are dull.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Up to 7ppi...I can see well enough to sharpen my own saws, however.....from 8ppi on up..I take them over to Piqua, OH.   To Chuck's Sharpening Service...out on South Street.

About $10 per saw...about a week to get the saw back.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(05-24-2020, 03:03 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Up to 7ppi...I can see well enough to sharpen my own saws, however.....from 8ppi on up..I take them over to Piqua, OH.   To Chuck's Sharpening Service...out on South Street.

About $10 per saw...about a week to get the saw back.

Sad to be me: learned to sharpen a saw about a dozen years ago. Took a year or two to get decent, and I then sharpened everything in my accumulation. Fast forward to the past year, my saws need not just touching up, but some, the full monte. My eyesight has gone rapidly downhill, to where I am also only good for saws under 8 or 9 ppi. A backsaw? No way anymore, even with magnifiers.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com