A segmented pepper grinder
My son specifically asked for a tall pepper grinder.He revised his request down from 36" tall to 16" tall. This ash piece was the result.

Attached Files Image(s)

We do segmented turning, not because it is easy, but because it is hard.
The walnut ring and everything above it turn relative to the bottom part to grind and dispense the pepper. It was a fun piece to make.
Nice shape.  What did you use for the finish?  I also like tall pepper mills...but 36" is too tall for me.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
Beautiful work. What pepper mill kit did ya use?
The mechanism is a 12" Wood River kit I picked up at Woodcraft. The finish is spray can urethane gloss spar varnish because it will be handled a lot and I wanted a rugged finish.
Did you turn those spheres in that bowl back there?
VH07V  
(05-18-2020, 03:16 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Did you turn those spheres in that bowl back there?

Yes I did. Another member of our woodworking club gave me a bunch of cutouts from his projects that were about 3" dia and 3" long then dared me to find something to make with them.
My that is a big grinder.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-17-2020, 11:25 AM)SceneryMaker Wrote: My son specifically asked for a tall pepper grinder.He revised his request down from 36" tall to 16" tall. This ash piece was the result.
36" Social distancing 
Laugh
Laugh
nice job
Life is what you make of it, change your thinking, change your life!
Don's woodshop
Very nice! Is there a nut at the top to hold the pieces together and control grind fineness?