Karl is at it again - new Block Plane
(05-19-2020, 09:50 AM)Admiral Wrote: See it here:  http://www.holteyplanes.com/planes_No983.html

are these just works of art or do they work better than a well tuned Stanley block plane?
I'd be afraid to use it! Gotta appreciate the craftsmanship though.
(05-19-2020, 04:15 PM)AHill Wrote: I don't know about the Holtey, but the Veritas NX60 is in stock.
The NX60, while listed as temporary unavailable, hasn’t been available for several years now.

Attached Files Image(s)

I thought he had retired.
(05-19-2020, 05:04 PM)CStan Wrote: I thought he had retired.

May have been Wayne Andersen that retired?
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(05-19-2020, 01:07 PM)med-one Wrote: Wonder what it might cost to have one of everything he makes.

Supposedly, there's a woman in San Francisco who does.
(05-19-2020, 05:22 PM)Tony Z Wrote: May have been Wayne Andersen that retired?

I've obviously confused Karl with someone else.  Could have been Anderson.

Edit: Or maybe not, Googling "Karl Holtey retirement" gets lots of hits. It must not have suited him. I don't blame him.
(05-19-2020, 05:04 PM)CStan Wrote: I thought he had retired.

He did. In 2015. It didn't seem to stick because he "gets ideas for planes and can't rest." So much for retirement. 

Judging by the work, he's doing pretty good.
I want one!

Karl and Chris Vesper should get together. Excellent designers and premier machinists, they do seem to sure a passion for good equipment and precision.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(05-19-2020, 06:33 PM)Steve Altman Wrote: He did. In 2015. It didn't seem to stick because he "gets ideas for planes and can't rest." So much for retirement. 

Judging by the work, he's doing pretty good.

I think he sort of got off the treadmill of production for inventory, hence the lack of prices and requirement for inquiry and ordering in advance; moving to more of a bespoke production model.  If you love what you do you never work a day in your life.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
(05-19-2020, 04:57 PM)Greg Jones Wrote: The NX60, while listed as temporary unavailable, hasn’t been available for several years now.

I neglected to choose a blade steel option to see availability.  It's cheaper cousin, the DX60, is currently out of stock but the website claims they'll be available on 30 June.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill