Acrabore augers
Hello everyone,
 I haven't been here for a while. I have a question regarding vintage/antique tools. Do any of you know anything about Acrabore auger bits? I was wondering about the company, where they bought up by another company, did they fold, and how might I find out how old the augers that I bought are.
Thank you.
Somehow I got and email saying you posted this here even tho I did not subscribe to it.

Did you try to google the info""
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(05-21-2020, 09:08 PM)Arlin Eastman Wrote: Somehow I got and email saying you posted this here even tho I did not subscribe to it.

Did you try to google the info""

I'd always just assumed they were made by Irwin but appears they were their own company.  Made in New England according to some ads from the early 1950's.  Can't say I've ever tried one but from appearances, would think them every bit as good as an Irwin.
Charles Irwin was a pharmacist. A local blacksmith invented the design for a central bore auger bit. Irwin paid for the design, and along with 3 other partners, started the Irwin Auger Bit Company. Your bits were manufactured by Irwin. They used the Acrabore name for quite a while. I've seen advertisements from the 1950's for them. Acrabore was never a separate company, it was Irwin's product name of the bits. They are decent bits. Depending on their condition, they might need sharpening to perform well.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(05-22-2020, 01:40 PM)AHill Wrote: They are decent bits.  Depending on their condition, they might need sharpening to perform well.

Agreed; I've had several sets of these and they are quality bits, I'd agree 50's vintage.
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis