Drawer planing fixture
This concept is not original, but I breathed on it to make it adjustable and rigid in use.

This is the basic design ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

The legs can open to 24" and close down to near nothing ...

[Image: 3a.jpg]

The arms slide in wide mortices, and are held by screwed clamps into threaded inserts ...

[Image: 4a.jpg]

To complete the build, the legs are covered in cork-rubber. This protects the inside of a drawer. It has the extra benefit of being a superb non-slip.

[Image: 5a.jpg]

In use ...

[Image: 6a.jpg]

[Image: 7a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Derek, in the last pic it looks like the bottom is secured by nailing into the back. Is this your usual way for this style drawer? I was planning to use a brass slotted screw in the same location. Any thoughts on yea or nay relative to using a screw?
(05-23-2020, 09:29 PM)theoldfart Wrote: Derek, in the last pic it looks like the bottom is secured by nailing into the back. Is this your usual way for this style drawer? I was planning to use a brass slotted screw in the same location. Any thoughts on yea or nay relative to using a screw?

The rear of the bottom is not held by a nail, but a slot with a screw. The entire bottom slides into drawer slips. The dark wood is hard Jarrah for extra wear resistance.

See this page for a full example:  http://www.inthewoodshop.com/Furniture/D...Slips.html

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com