Jointer Outfeed Table
Hi,

It's been a long time since I posted but I have regularly been following the topics of interest on the forum.  Now that I'm retired I have been getting back to WW on a more regular basis. My question is regarding outfeed table alignment.

I have a 1977 PM 50 6" jointer that I refurbished 15+ years ago and installed a Byrd spiral head on it. I hated changing knives and aligning them properly. Just couldn't get it.  I was doing some regular maintenance on my machines and checked to see if the outfeed table was set correctly or had it moved some. I found the table to be flat because I can't get a .001" feeler gauge under a 36" Starrett ground straight edge along its length. However, when I checked to see if the knife/insert was just touching the straight edge, I noticed that when at TDC, the insert(s) lifted the straight edge .006."

Should I leave it as it is or do I/should I insert .006" brass shims on the upper part of the DT ways (both sides of the table towards the cutters). I already have shims at the bottom of the ways towards the end of the table in order to level it.  I really like the jointer and would hate to part with it at this time. Don't think I can justify a $1K expenditure on a new jointer during this time. I can't fit an 8" jointer because of space limitation in my shop which is only 12x18.

Thanking you in advance for any assistance you can provide.
Does the jointer produce flat, straight boards?

If so, leave it.

It isn't atypical to have the outfeed a little below the knives.
I'm pretty sure it does Phil, I'll check tomorrow. But if it isn't should I make the adjustment? I think I've read somewhere that some woodworkers like set it up where the knives move a stick ~5/32" to control for snipe.
There are two separate issues,  height of the outfeed, and whether the infeed and outfeed are parallel.  Some suggest you should not mess with shimming to get the tables parallel on a jointer with dovetailed ways, saying it was machined parallel and that  you will just cause more problems trying to adjust it.  If the outfeed is parallel with the infeed, but too low, there is an adjuster on the outfeed to raise it without using shims.
Thanks Barry. Will look at that aspect as well.
Get a copy of this book:
Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance by John White. The answers to nearly all machine questions are in there. Easy to understand instructions too.

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
I have the book and I'll look through it again. Thanks for the tip.
"Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance" by John White. was mentioned here or on another forum about 2-3 weeks ago.

On a whim, I ordered a copy from Abe Books, a used book dealer. It is well worth the cost!
(05-24-2020, 07:44 AM)shoottmx Wrote: Get a copy of this book:
Care and Repair of Shop Machines: A Complete Guide to Setup, Troubleshooting, and Maintenance by John White. The answers to nearly all machine questions are in there. Easy to understand instructions too.

g

This is a great book.  -Howard
White's book is excellent.

With regard to jointer knife setting, think about the way it cuts. As the board goes over the cutterhead, knives come up and cut away a curved bit and go back down. This happens quickly, so curved cuts are short. At the top of each curve, the knife (or whatever you call the cutter) is at top dead center. But the start and end of the cut is a little bit lower, and these are the points that ride on the outfeed table. So cutters should be set just a tiny bit higher than the outfeed table for a straight cut. But how much higher? That's a tricky question, since it depends on how quickly you feed your stock. The slower you feed, the less the knives should be set above the outfeed.

The real answer to this is, if your jointer works well, don't mess it up (as Phil suggested above). Otherwise, set the height so it gives you straight cuts.