Replacement screw for LV skew rabbet plane
(05-24-2020, 07:06 PM)Handplanesandmore Wrote: What did you use? Since it's broken, no harm trying with a thin Dremel disc.

Simon

True. Will do tomorrow.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(05-24-2020, 06:52 PM)Aram Wrote: Thanks, all. Not much metric stuff here in Eugene, Oregon (not even at Fastenal). I ordered both lengths from McMaster. I'm about to take a shower. If this is a typical McMaster-Carr order, the order will be here when I'm done drying off.

The other thing to do - if you have a metric dye - is to recut the thread of another screw to fit (as a stop gap). I do this often.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(05-25-2020, 03:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: The other thing to do - if you have a metric dye - is to recut the thread of another screw to fit (as a stop gap). I do this often.

Regards from Perth

Derek

That's an excellent idea. I don't think I have an M5 die (or an appropriately sized brass screw), but I might -- my old motorcycle used a lot of M5 screws. I'll look.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

(05-24-2020, 06:14 PM)Aram Wrote: I stripped the end threads on the screw that holds the blade on my LV Skew Rabbet plane. Now it won't hold the blade. I'll call LV but my whole project is down because of this and I'm looking for a fast replacement. Screw checker says it is #5 0.8. Not sure if it is 12 or 16mm -- what is this type of screw head called, and where do you measure from?

Any idea where (besides Lee Valley) to get one? I don't see this particular head shape at McMaster.

[Image: i-tXjc6M7-M.jpg]

Thank you.

Hi Aram - 

Would be glad to send you another screw - it is actually a  10-32 UNF x ¾” oval head screw. 

Just email me directly at rlee@leevalley.com with your address....

Cheers - 

Rob
(05-26-2020, 01:45 PM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi Aram - 

Would be glad to send you another screw - it is actually a  10-32 UNF x ¾” oval head screw. 

Cheers - 

Rob

Smile  Thank you, Rob. Will do.
Best,
Aram, always learning

(05-26-2020, 01:45 PM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi Aram - 

Cheers - 

Rob

CS at its finest! 
Yes

Doug