Shelix Cutter Head
I put a Shelix head on my Ridgid TP1300. Interestingly, I can not take as deep a cut as I could with the straight blades. It does leave a cleaner surface, but I was used to taking half a turn on the wheel on each pass. With the Shelix, on boards over 7" width, I have to take 1/4-1/3 turns on the wheel. As for noise, it is still loud, but not quite as loud with straight blades.
I own a 15” planer that I upgraded to a Shelix. I did my 8” jointer as well. I would of done this sooner had I truly known how nice they perform. The headache, for me at least, of setting blades is done. Nicks in blades are easily dealt with. They are quiet and perform excellent. No regrets on my end but it is a serious financial investment for a hobbiest woodworker.

I bought a 6" Grizzly parellogram jointer hat I put a Shellix on. The end result was worth it, but getting there needed me to hone the Grizzly's bearing housings to fit the new bearings.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I believe that using the knives, especially as they neared end of life, damaged my hearing. I wear ear protection all the time in the shop, but I didn't always do that. They needed to be changed frequently, and while they're loud as it is as they get a bit duller they are extremely loud. My tinnitus, in any case, was probably exacerbated by using the knives. That alone would be a reason enough to use the helical head.

There are a few issues to be aware of. There are two different diameters - one can be installed without removing the carbide cutters, and one cannot. The advantage of having to install the cutters after installation is that the depth gauge should still be accurate and you can plane slightly thinner wood. Otherwise, the smaller diameter cutter head removes slightly less material as its height relative to the feed rollers is different. This is only an issue if the difference of 1/16" or less matters to you.

No change in snipe. The cut quality is great and I've rotated one or two cutters in the several years I've had it. I keep it at the maximum speed (never on finishing) and it leaves a perfectly good cut. It is definitely better for planing end grain if you do such things, though you will still get some tearout.

Yes, it's worth it.
(05-27-2020, 12:20 AM)lincmercguy Wrote: I have a DW 735 planer that I like pretty well. Like any planer, I'm always dealing with avoiding tear out and snipe. I mainly use oak and maple, but also use walnut and cherry periodically.

Is the Shelix upgrade worth the price? Is it a good fit for this planer? I've read several reviews and people seem to really like it with this planer.

I have the Wixley gauge, so the adjustment for the smaller head is not an issue for me. Noise level is also not an issue for me.

I put a Shelix head on my 20" Grizzly planer and an 8" Grizzly jointer. I purchased the Grizzly 12" by 80" jointer with their factory Spiral Cutter Head.

They are the greatest thing since popcorn!
John

Chisel And Bit
Custom Crafted Furniture
john626fry@gmail.com