Basement wall problems
Looks like I have some foundation problems. Front porch settled and cracked the wall a couple blocks down. I am going to remove the porch,brace up the wall and then move on to waterproofing. Any advice?
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.
Have you checked the alignment of the sill plate and the top of the basement wall?  This would give you an idea on whether or not you have any bowing of the wall that needs to be corrected. 

My mother's house had to be fixed about 12 years ago.  The house had begun to settle with cracks opening in drywall at the corners of doorways, doors becoming hard to open, and so on.  A close inspection revealed significant bowing, particularly on the front basement wall.  It had actually shifted inward several inches.  We had to bring in a professional foundation company to do the bracing.  They had to put piers in on three sides of the house with rods going through the basement walls to bracing beams. Mom's house always had occasional water penetration issues in the basement related to grading and soil movement.
(05-27-2020, 09:11 AM)WxMan Wrote: Have you checked the alignment of the sill plate and the top of the basement wall?  This would give you an idea on whether or not you have any bowing of the wall that needs to be corrected. 

My mother's house had to be fixed about 12 years ago.  The house had begun to settle with cracks opening in drywall at the corners of doorways, doors becoming hard to open, and so on.  A close inspection revealed significant bowing, particularly on the front basement wall.  It had actually shifted inward several inches.  We had to bring in a professional foundation company to do the bracing.  They had to put piers in on three sides of the house with rods going through the basement walls to bracing beams. Mom's house always had occasional water penetration issues in the basement related to grading and soil movement.

I have checked and I do have movement. It is only a bit over an inch but it is there.
What kind of bracing of that wall are you envisioning?

Does it need to be push inward toward the house, or pulled back out?

From the sounds of it, your wall is concrete block, not poured?
(05-29-2020, 09:03 AM)WxMan Wrote: What kind of bracing of that wall are you envisioning?

Does it need to be push inward toward the house, or pulled back out?

From the sounds of it, your wall is concrete block, not poured?

It is block wall. I think I will need to set steel I- beams in place to keep the wall from bowing more into the basement. I have seen it done before and actually helped on the job a bit. It seemed simple. I am 100% sure I can do it. The question is on the waterproofing side. I know best is to dig down to the footing and waterproof on the outside. Another option is a B-Dry type system but I don't think I am a fan. I have talked to a couple neighbors that had similar work done and they said that once the wall was stable, they were able to waterproof it with hydraulic cement and silicone. I may go that route and see what happens as I can still go outside for waterproofing later and if the easy route works, It will save me 5-10 grand.
I run into these things inspecting homes. Always refer it to a structural engineer. I did one where the basement wall was bowing inward. They wound up taking out the driveway and digging a pit. Set steel cross I-Beams in the pit and ran 1" threaded rod through the beams and through the foundation wall. Then filled the pit with aggregate. 3 threaded rods iirc spaced evenly across the the 12-14 ft wall. They ran a steel plate across the interior of the wall with the threaded rod protruding through the plate and tightened nuts to draw the wall back into place. Put in a new driveway.

Foundation movement is usually caused by one of two reasons. Hydraulic pressure or poorly compacted soil under the foundation.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(05-30-2020, 08:00 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: I run into these things inspecting homes. Always refer it to a structural engineer. I did one where the basement wall was bowing inward. They wound up taking out the driveway and digging a pit. Set steel cross I-Beams in the pit and ran 1" threaded rod through the beams and through the foundation wall. Then filled the pit with aggregate. 3 threaded rods iirc spaced evenly across the the 12-14 ft wall. They ran a steel plate across the interior of the wall with the threaded rod protruding through the plate and tightened nuts to draw the wall back into place. Put in a new driveway.

Foundation movement is usually caused by one of two reasons. Hydraulic pressure or poorly compacted soil under the foundation.

Had a guy offer a system like that. He dug a series of post holes. He then drills through the basement wall and into the pre-dug holes. He runs the rod into the hole,adds a backer plate on each end and goes at it. It almost sounds too easy to me. I talked to a structural engineer friend who said he preferred the beam system on the inside and excavating and waterproofing from the outside but he is a perfectionist and it is not his money. I say this, but he told me a dozen times that I should do what I can and sub out the rest. He said it is not rocket science. He said you can do as good or better job as well as save 50% or more. It has me thinking.