dust extraction after installing zero clearance insert on table saw
My dust collector used to do a good job of removing saw dust.  After I installed a zero clearance insert on my table saw I now end up with lots of dust on the table top.

I was thinking of drilling 3 or 4 3/4" diameter holes in the insert to improve the dust collection but I am not sure that will work.  I think the dust has to come from the saw slot exclusively. 

Would drilling a hole at the ends of the saw slot work better?

Any other suggestions?  I am still getting plenty of suction from the DC, it just has no where to suck it down from.

This is very disappointing.  I had a dust problem.  Then I got the DC.  Then I had no dust problem.  Then I put in a zero clearance insert.  Now I have a dust problem again.  I am a dog chasing his tail.
Sad
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
ZCI will cause a lot of chips/dust to stay on the top side of the saw, especially on non enclosed trim cuts... with that being the case, either a dust port on your guard (ie sharkguard, excaliber, etc.) to suck up the waste from the top or like you described adding some holes in the ZCI will aid in some of the chips/dust being sucked down. HTH
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
If you're doing an edge cut then holes in the ZCI will help some but not if the wood you're cutting covers them as it will with a wider board.  What you need is extraction above and below the blade.  A Shark Guard or similar on top will take car of the stuff above the table.  Below the table you need to let air into the cabinet somewhere, preferably in a path that helps convey dust/chips to the outlet exhaust.  

John
This guy made a video of how he solved the same problem.  His unique solution is to cut slots and grooves in the insert.  

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=R3K3RKn7yis

Mike
I agree with John, any holes you drill will be mostly covered by the workpiece which kind of negates any advantage the holes might have provided. You need an over blade pickup.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I've got three 3/4" holes in my z insert. It does a nice job of keeping the top clear
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Quote:I got the DC, and I had no dust problem. 

I put in the zero clearance insert, and I have a dust problem.

If no dust problem, why change? 

A ZC insert doesn't make the blade run more true, nor cut any better.
(05-28-2020, 06:04 AM)Mike in kc Wrote: If no dust problem, why change? 

A ZC insert doesn't make the blade run more true, nor cut any better.

It prevents tear-out on plywood and chipping on melamine clad particle board.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
Sharper blade, slower feed rate, and/or well pressed masking tape on the table side of the cut.
The ZC is a lot easier.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.