Milwaukee 2426-20 Multi-tool malfunction
I bought the multi-tool in December 2018.  I've used it on a number of projects, but it failed me today while working on a steeply-pitched roof.

I was working to remove and replace some rotted trim boards on shed dormers.  While cutting the rotted trim away, the tool started shutting down.  Thinking the battery had been discharged, I had my helper insert a freshly charged battery.  Within a few minutes, the tool quit again.  After several of these instances, I realized that the battery wasn't properly seated.  I reseated it and the tool started up, only to shut down again within 20 seconds.  No matter what I did, the battery seemed to be vibrated out of lock, and the tool would shut down.  This problem was not limited to one battery.

I have reached out to Milwaukee's tech support line.  If I have to, I'll take it to the local service center.  It should still be under warranty.

Had to resort to my corded HF oscillating tool to get the work done.  That thing just keeps going and going and going and going.......

Has anyone here experienced the same?
(05-29-2020, 04:22 PM)WxMan Wrote: I bought the multi-tool in December 2018.  I've used it on a number of projects, but it failed me today while working on a steeply-pitched roof.

I was working to remove and replace some rotted trim boards on shed dormers.  While cutting the rotted trim away, the tool started shutting down.  Thinking the battery had been discharged, I had my helper insert a freshly charged battery.  Within a few minutes, the tool quit again.  After several of these instances, I realized that the battery wasn't properly seated.  I reseated it and the tool started up, only to shut down again within 20 seconds.  No matter what I did, the battery seemed to be vibrated out of lock, and the tool would shut down.  This problem was not limited to one battery.

I have reached out to Milwaukee's tech support line.  If I have to, I'll take it to the local service center.  It should still be under warranty.

Had to resort to my corded HF oscillating tool to get the work done.  That thing just keeps going and going and going and going.......

Has anyone here experienced the same?

Mine has not failed but in any case your is within the three year warranty period
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

If you were out in the sun, it may have just overheated. I ran into this while working on a pergola this week. The sun heats it up enough the tool just shuts down. I just put mine in a coll(er) spot to rest and then it starts again. In use, If it's sunny I try to figure out a way to keep them shaded....or use a corded tool.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(05-30-2020, 05:33 AM)fredhargis Wrote: If you were out in the sun, it may have just  overheated. I ran into this while working on a pergola this week. The sun heats it up enough the tool just shuts down. I just put mine in a coll(er) spot to rest and then it starts again. In use, If it's sunny I try to figure out a way to keep them shaded....or use a corded tool.

I don't think that is it, Fred.  I can replicate the issue when it's cool as well.  After having been fully seated, the battery is physically backing out of the unit just enough to disconnect from the electrical terminals inside the power unit.

It's aggravating right now because I'm preparing to install new outdoor light fixtures which will require cutting existing siding, plus make the repairs to the furnace vent stack I posted about in the Home Improvement forum.  Probably going to spend some quality time with my HF unit.