Whole house fan -- belt or direct drive?
The contractor I hired cut the hole in the ceiling from below.  He did not investigate in the attic.  Because of where he started his cut he ended up cutting two rafters instead of one.  I never did anything about that, but planning would have only required one cut rafter.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(06-02-2020, 11:03 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Picked up a belt drive this morning.  I will discuss the installation with the contractor tomorrow.

Thanks for the advice!

What did you get?  Make/model/size?  Just curious is all.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
I just can't see a huge heavy fan blade attached directly to a motor a good idea, unless it's perfectly balanced.
(06-03-2020, 08:57 AM)daddo Wrote: I just can't see a huge heavy fan blade attached directly to a motor a good idea, unless it's perfectly balanced.

https://www.hometips.com/buying-guides/w...-fans.html

• A whole-house fan adds noise to your living environment. A fan, especially located near bedrooms, can detract from the quality of your life (and sleep). See 8 Soundproofing Secrets for a Quieter Home.

Whole House Fan Options to Consider
Look for:
• A quiet fan. Because whole-house fans are running most of the time, it’s important for them to be quiet. Fans are rated by “sones.” According to the American Society of Heating, Refrigerating and Air-Conditioning Engineers (ASHRAE), whole-house fans should not be louder than 1.0 sones.
Belt-drive whole house fans that use an integrated pulley provide for a smoother and quieter operation than direct-drive fans.
Generally speaking, the more blades a fan has, the quieter it will be. Also make sure your unit has a welded frame so it will not loosen up and begin to squeak. Have the fan isolated from your home’s framing with foam strips or rubber mountings. That way the motor hum will not resound through the framing and drywall.
we have a Tamarack.  In my experience, it is better in every way that the belt drive units.  https://www.tamtech.com/product-category...ouse-fans/

I think we have the hv1600.
(06-03-2020, 03:09 PM)EricU Wrote: we have a Tamarack.  In my experience, it is better in every way that the belt drive units.  https://www.tamtech.com/product-category...ouse-fans/

I think we have the hv1600.

It is three times the price and less than half the CFMs of a belt drive.  So in at least two ways it is not better.
(06-03-2020, 03:51 PM)Cooler Wrote: It is three times the price and less than half the CFMs of a belt drive.  So in at least two ways it is not better.

Those old style belt drive ones leave you with a massive uninsulated hole in the ceiling. Not a good thing. 

The only time I would want a fan is when someone breaks the rule and cooks fish inside the house. The problem is the few nice days we have the pollen and dirt are at their peak so you don't want to pull that in the house... 

There are other ways to do it with fresh air ventilation systems but they are stupid expensive. You get into ERVs an HRVs and for our climate a box that filters and dehumidifies the air coming in the house but at nearly 5K by the time you get all the parts.... Uh No.