Impact wrench
At my daughter's in OK, and the gear box on the used bush hog was loose.  The 15/16 deepwell sockets coupled with a breaker bar and a pipe for extra leverage wouldnt break the rusted bolts loose to replace them.  A friend of my daughter's came over with compressor and impact... Boom... Broke them loose.  New bolts.  Job done.

We will have the tractor and half dozen implements.  Any recommendations on a pneumatic impact wrench of "decent" quality to have handy on the farm.  1/2" drive. ..
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Jim,

My father was a large truck mechanic in the 90's and the linked Impact gun is the larger one he used.  It was getting weak after 25 years of use so  I bought the same one to replace his worn out gun and he is very happy with it.
~ Chris
I think you want a battery gun, not pneumatic. Air is good for the local tire shop, where they use their impact guns all day long. The 18v models can produce as much or more torque. They just can’t do it all day long. I think you’d be happy with a battery gun. I would not read the specs. I’d pick a brand whose batteries you already have. I have a Bosch model, which on paper is one of the weakest impact guns. It’s never failed me. Perfectly suitable.
In air, buy a name brand.
I still have my snap-ons I used in the truck shops. 3/8 and 1/2.
And they can be rebuilt if needed, not thrown away.
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

I'd go with battery powered, too, for the portability.  Hard to drag a compressor out to the back forty which is where equipment usually breaks down.  If you aren't already whetted to one brand's batteries I'd give the top end HF models a good look.  

John
I have air, plug-in and battery impact guns. Working around my 8 acres I use the battery powered gun the most. I am happy with my DeWalt 18v 1/2" impact gun. It will remove lug nuts most of the time.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
I have heard good things about the Milwaukee model and they have a deep bench of quality 18v tools. Rigid and DeWalt are also excellent. I would consider the HF only as a last resort. They have a poor warranty, not a lot of other great tools for that battery, and users have mixed experiences with the quality and batteries.

I also have a snap on 18v Ct8850 which is powerful, but very heavy and bulky, best for heavy duty work and maybe overkill for most jobs. I think the Milwaukee is as powerful or more powerful and just as heavy as the Snap On.
(06-03-2020, 07:21 AM)adamcherubini Wrote: I think you want a battery gun, not pneumatic. Air is good for the local tire shop, where they use their impact guns all day long. The 18v models can produce as much or more torque. They just can’t do it all day long. I think you’d be happy with a battery gun. I would not read the specs. I’d pick a brand whose batteries you already have. I have a Bosch model, which on paper is one of the weakest impact guns. It’s never failed me. Perfectly suitable.

This...I have the Ryobi (thats what batteries I have) in both the 1/4" Impact DRIVER (2 actually) and the 1/2" Impact Wrench....the 1/2" is in the garage and has broken loose many a rusty bolt, over torqued lug nut. Plenty of power for the home mechanic.
Milwaukee makes a couple different flavors of battery impact, at a couple different price points. The one I have is the slightly older 1/2" 18v version of what I think they call the 'Mid Torque' model, and is rated for 700 ft/lbs. The newer brushless and hi torque models are rated at something like 1400 lbs.

I am incredibly satisfied with my particular model. It has removed rusted-on junkyard lugnuts without a moment's pause. I have yet to run into anything it can't either loosen, or occasionally destroy trying. I love not having to drag around an air supply or get tangled up in the line. It is light for what it is; the big battery packs are still heavy, and it can wear you out when held in awkward positions for an extended period of time. It was also a 'cheapish' option for me, because I already had a Milwaukee hedge trimmer, drill, and impact driver that came with the higher amp hour batteries. If you are not already invested in the M12/M18 system, there may be better options.

I was hesitant to make the switch from air to battery for a long time when it came to impacts. Just didn't believe the battery options to have the grunt and staying power over air. Finally, I needed to do some work on a range in the middle of nowhere, and didn't want to rent a gas compressor and haul it out there with me, so I picked up the Milwaukee and figured I'd return it if it sucked. I still have it, and I haven't used my air impacts in two years now.
Math is tough. Let's go shopping!
FWIW, the battery impacts get good press in RV discussions about tire changing.  I was surprised, but the torque ratings of some of them are well above what's required for 19.5" and 22.5" Budd (dish) wheel removal.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"