Impact wrench
Few weeks back I had a blowout (rear tire, of course) on my 1 ton dualie dump, my DeWalt DCF899H (1/2" drive 20v impact) handeled the lug nuts like childs play....
Yes

Ed
(06-04-2020, 09:40 PM)EdL Wrote: Few weeks back I had a blowout (rear tire, of course) on my 1 ton dualie dump, my DeWalt DCF899H (1/2" drive 20v impact) handeled the lug nuts like childs play....  
Yes

Ed

It should be able to handle that easily as lug nuts on it should only be 140 to 150 Foot pounds
(06-05-2020, 05:53 AM)fixtureman Wrote: It should be able to handle that easily as lug nuts on it should only be 140 to 150 Foot pounds

By contrast, the 22mm studs that are common on 22.5" wheels on trucks and buses and Class A RVs require 450 lb-ft.  And usually much more to break loose, often requiring a torque multiplier with breaker bar to break them.  But the high capacity battery impacts have no problem with them.  

Times sure have changed.  We used to bang away with a long-snout 1" impact with 3/4" hose on the wedges of spoked Webb truck wheels (cast iron spokes), and they only require 200-260 lb-ft.  But nobody ever used a torque wrench, so who knows what we were actually getting.

Battery tool technology sure has come a long way.  
Yes
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
(06-05-2020, 05:53 AM)fixtureman Wrote: It should be able to handle that easily as lug nuts on it should only be 140 to 150 Foot pounds

I guarantee you they were a heck of lot tighter then that.  
Yes

Ed
Thanks for all the input y'all, looks like battery power wins out. 
Big Grin
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
FWIW, when I bought my DeWalt I wanted the "hog ring" style, not the pin detent. Only way I got a deal was to go bare tool only, plenty of deals on the pin detent style kit, none on the hog ring.

Might be a DeWalt thing, no idea how the other companies push theirs.

Just make sure you get the type that'll work best for you.

Ed
Best I have, is a 35 to 40 year old Craftsmen (plug). It's a real horse, but not that convenient. I also have a 18v Dewalt and 12v Bosch. The Dewalt is also great and the Bosch is more limited by battery size.

I would look at a 20v Dewalt (and I make parts that goes into it!).
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
I have had the pneumatic HF Earthquake 1/2" Impact for years and it is a beast. With that being said, I purchased a Dewalt 20V 3/8" impact for lighter duty and portable work. I bought the brushed version as a bare tool, it's this guy IIRC DCF883B. This little guy does a lot of work, pretty easily. I have never had a lug nut that would not bust free when I've used it. I kind of love the fact that it is 3/8" drive for versatility but you can buy it in a 1/2" version as well.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
(06-07-2020, 02:10 PM)Lumber Yard® Wrote: I have had the pneumatic HF Earthquake 1/2" Impact for years and it is a beast. With that being said, I purchased a Dewalt 20V 3/8" impact for lighter duty and portable work. I bought the brushed version as a bare tool, it's this guy IIRC DCF883B. This little guy does a lot of work, pretty easily. I have never had a lug nut that would not bust free when I've used it. I kind of love the fact that it is 3/8" drive for versatility but you can buy it in a 1/2" version as well.

I have the 3/8" and use it most of the time.

½" comes in two sizes.  I bought the bigger one.  Which was a mistake as it weights alot.  I got pin detent to save money, its a pain I guess but not a huge deal over all.  3/8 is hogring.

The big one, all above 20v Dewalt brushless , pops car, truck and small tractor nuts off like nothing.  Buddy of mine and I joke about buying a rusted out Cat D8 and taking it apart.  Over kill.
Vaping Bad.........
HF has a lot of choices. Several of the Earthquake models get good reviews. They have a Bauer plug in model that is very stout for about $100. It may be the cheapest way out if you have 110v near you.
1st class birdhouse builder/scrapwood mfg.