knife wall
(06-04-2020, 09:20 AM)stevema Wrote: What tool do you have circled there? Utility knife, pocket knife?

That is a folding Utility Knife....as I like to be safe around very sharp blades....I keep it closed up, until needed....Easy enough to sharpen....just install a new blade.
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
(06-04-2020, 01:05 PM)bandit571 Wrote: I am using it on Ash in the project I am working on now.....READ.    ONE light pass, followed by heavier passes.   All I need is enough to GUIDE  a saw blade.   Does NOT need to be a "Mile deep".....just enough to act as a guide.   maybe go and watch a video?

I needed stopped dados for the saw holders in that saw til....

Knife wall to guide a backsaw, once a "mortise" was made at the stopped part of the dado....then a sharp chisel to pop most of the waste out,,,then the Stanley No. 71-1/2 to flatten the bottom of the dado...

But, the light pass with the knife, gives a line for heavier cuts to follow....Then he uses a wide chisel on the waste side of the line/knife wall...just enough for the saw to follow.

He uses that "pocket knife" a lot....not just for knife walls, either.  And..it is usually way sharper than any Xacto knife blade....

Whoa there buddy.  I wasnt even responding to your post.  I was responding to the OP.
~ Chris
(06-04-2020, 09:20 AM)stevema Wrote: What tool do you have circled there? Utility knife, pocket knife?

that's a folding utility knife, a folding knife that uses replaceable utility blades.  Go to the drywall section of a big box store and you'll find several different styles of this type of knife
"Yes, of course duct tape works in a near-vacuum. Duct tape works anywhere. Duct tape is magic and should be worshiped." Andy Weir (in his book The Martian)
I have a lot of joinery knives but my current favourites are:

Swann-Morton craft fixed blade knife; Stanley folding knife, and a vintage Swann-Morton (that was my grandfather's) ...

[Image: Knife2a.jpg]

The S-M and the Stanley use the same blades.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com