MicroJig's Matchfit Dovetail Clamps
Derek uses these for his Moxon vise. Anybody else found a use for then in traditional hand tool woodworking? In particular, has anyone toyed with the idea of incorporating them into your main bench? I know I might try to use them for the sliding deadman. More ideas?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
Would love to see your sliding deadman application. Have yet to install one on my bench.

Doug
They are fairly lightweight clamps, perhaps too light for use in a deadman application? I bought a pair of them thinking I’d find multiple uses, and honestly they are just collecting dust so far. I’ll be interested to see how others are using them in traditional woodworking.
(06-09-2020, 05:51 AM)Greg Jones Wrote: They are fairly lightweight clamps, perhaps too light for use in a deadman application? I bought a pair of them thinking I’d find multiple uses, and honestly they are just collecting dust so far. I’ll be interested to see how others are using them in traditional woodworking.

Morticing fixture ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

[Image: 4a.jpg]

Morticing for drawer handles, through grooves ...

[Image: 19a.jpg]

Moxon vise ...

[Image: 8a.jpg]

[Image: TheLastMoxon_html_1ff98093.jpg]

Drill press ...

[Image: DP9a.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Not really a hand tool use, but the dovetail clamps are great for attaching a "fence", where you don't
want knobs on top..
For example, on my shaper, let's say the fence is on the right (this is where the cutter head is).
I can use the dovetail clamps to clamp a second fence on the left when I am doing rails/styles to help keep the board against the shaper fence.

Also useful to hold "Stops" on a router table fence, if the router table fence doesn't have T-track.
In fact, that's probably the best way to describe the use of these clamps.. as a replacement for T-track hardware.
Entirely aside from their value as dovetail clamps, they look like they could be useful for those times that you need to clamp a fixture down without much clamp sticking up - but maybe pricey for that use.
(06-09-2020, 09:16 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Morticing fixture ...

[Image: 1a.jpg]

Derek

Derek,

When you rout the dovetail slots, is it one pass? Or do you have to go in with a straight bit, and then again with a dovetail bit? Thanks.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Aram, these dovetails were quite shallow, so I just pushed it through in one go. Not the recommended method.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-10-2020, 11:33 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Aram, these dovetails were quite shallow, so I just pushed it through in one go. Not the recommended method.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you. I just noticed that in your drill press photo, you have metal track apparently with the matching profile. What is that called? I tried searching for "dovetail track," no help.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Derek, I took the liberty and copied your drill press table only I used 2 inch thick plastic. I used regular T-track because I couldn't find what you used. I also would like to know where you found yours.

I mounted the table on a 18" Grizzly X-Y cross slide. I'm super happy with how it turned out. It ended up being very useful. Thanks for the idea.

Nick