PSA, LN chisels
That's a beauty.  I'm sure it was a garage sale bargain at $1.....  
Laugh
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
I have a 1 1/2" Ashley Iles Mk2 chisel, but the edge retention on it has been horrible. I have had to grind it back several times to get past edge crumbling. That size does come in handy once in a while.
I have a couple of wide (2”?) vintage chisels and I reach for them often enough. Tapping in a longer mark or chopping veneer come to mind.
Lumber Logs, domestic hardwoods at wholesale prices: http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012869.php

Lumber Logs' blog: Follow the adventure
You guys are probably going to cringe, but whenever I need a wide chisel I just use an old banged up tapered plane iron.
Its been kicking around since at least the early 1960's: one of the tools that always seemed to good to use, so its been a shelf queen. Really nicely made chisel.

(06-12-2020, 01:46 PM)Admiral Wrote: That's a beauty.  I'm sure it was a garage sale bargain at $1.....  
Laugh
(06-12-2020, 08:22 PM)TomFromStLouis Wrote: Tapping in a longer mark or chopping veneer come to mind.

+1. I think that's about all I've used my 2" for.

I have a full set of the black/yellow handled Stanleys I bought new, 20 or so years old. Same style as what I used in HS.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

If Martin S is excited about ordering a 1 1/2 from LN and wants to let others know they will be available then I am happy for him. I am also happy for him  that he is able to purchase one and hopefully it helps him to complete his set of chisels.

The only chisel from LN that I own is a 1/2 inch fishtail chisel. It was actually given to me by someone here on the woodnet forum because of a comment I made. It wasn't a matter of spending the money for it at the time it was a matter of afford. 

Anyway I think it is a beautiful tool, to both look at and to use. It is a joy to work with and if nothing else using it affects my attitude toward the task and helps me to want to do a better job. Martin I hope that your new chisel, when you get it, effects you the same way. 

Anyway well done.

Tom
(06-13-2020, 02:35 PM)Nick Obermire Wrote: You guys are probably going to cringe, but whenever I need a wide chisel I just use an old banged up tapered plane iron.

Those who cringe could likely be the ignorant ones. Was it veneer master Gilbert or someone his experience who sometimes used a plane blade to trim pieces? A sharp knife or veneer saw is what one needs to trim... think about it....who has a 5" chisel for cutting wider veneer????
Rolleyes 

Simon
Sold out now.  Got one!  Great for tenon fitting.
Well, at least someone wanted one besides me.

I got one, and I am happy.

If they would just make a 1.25, I could complete the set.
...Naval Aviators, that had balz made of brass and the size of bowling balls, getting shot off the deck at night, in heavy seas, hoping that when they leave the deck that the ship is pointed towards the sky and not the water.

AD1 T. O. Cronkhite