Shop made anvil
There have been a couple of "anvil" posts, which reminded me to post a picture of my shop made anvil. This is so easy to make that it may be useful to some here.

It is just a section of steel angle - find an off cut at a building site, as I did. Line the inside with hardwood (I used some Maple). Bob's your uncle.

Held by my leg vise, and used over a bench leg.

[Image: anvil1.jpg]

[Image: anvil2.jpg]

[Image: anvil3.jpg]

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
Years ago I found a 10" section of railroad track that I've been using for an anvil ever since. I also use it to keep a door open.
Nick, I also used a section of railroad track for many years. Too much space and too heavy. This angle steel tucks away under my bench. Does the job better as it is flatter.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(06-13-2020, 02:28 PM)Nick Obermire Wrote: Years ago I found a 10" section of railroad track that I've been using for an anvil ever since. I also use it to keep a door open.

I have a horn anvil that someone made out of a 30lb section of mainline RR track...They did a professional job out of it..Rings like a bell !!
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Sjobergs actually makes an anvil like that.  Your solution is way more affordable!  I keep an smaller traditional anvil handy because sometimes I need to use the curved portion of the horn.

[Image: detail.jpg?c=1547733501]
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Interesting Allan! Thanks.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Just for humor’s sake, I figured I’d post my homemade anvil that my Grandpa made it for the shop on the farm. I have no idea what the top was originally, but I can probably tell you the salvage yard it came from. It’s 3” thick, and the whole thing probably weighs 300 lbs.

Attached Files Image(s)

Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp