Oil seal removal on Grizzley planner
Good morning all, 

I'm in the process of upgrading my Grizzly G0453 15" planer with a Byrd cutterhead.  Grizzly recommended replacing the two oil seals at the same time as well as the gasket.  Got the machine apart but I can not remove one of the oil seals.  Seems like it has been factory installed with some sort of adhesive.  I'm getting it out piece by piece but I'm certain there will be little bits that prevent the new seal from seating properly.  Any suggestions?  Perhaps a solvent to loosen the last rubber bits eg: naphtha, alcohol or mineral spirits.  For those with the G0453/0454 the oil seal is #536.  Oddly there was a small o-ring atop the gasket which is not called out in the drawings.  Any thoughts would be greatly appreciated.
Bill,
Is there any chance you could apply a small amount of heat? It could loosen whatever is holding it.
BS
Small dull chisel, scrap it off. Then wipe it off/down with thinner
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Was the O-ring near the seal? Most oil seals have a spring on the lip of the oil seal, it looks like a o-ring. As far as getting the remaining adhesive scrap with a long narrow blade. I have seen seals installed with cylindrical locktite, that is always difficult to remove.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(06-13-2020, 06:13 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: Was the O-ring near the seal? Most oil seals have a spring on the lip of the oil seal, it looks like a o-ring. As far as getting the remaining adhesive scrap with a long narrow blade. I have seen seals installed with cylindrical locktite, that is always difficult to remove.

Lift Mechanic, should I be using some sort of adhesive when I put the new seal in?  It seems a little loose in the hole.  

Yes, the o-ring was sitting atop the gasket.  Probably was a spring like you suggest.

I soaked the piece in acetone and that loosened everything up.  I was able to scrap most of the gunk and rubber out and I'll use a scotchpad for final cleaning.

Based on this experience, I think I'll forego changing out the second oil seal.  The only leaking I had was a little weeping around the gasket which I'll replace.
The seal should not be loose at all. It should be a very snug fit. Sure you have the correct seal? The seal, the out side rim, is it rubber or metal? I have never had to use a sealant on a seal, so I am not sure what to use. Have use tried utube. As far as installing the seal you can use a large socket that is the same size as the outer diameter as the seal. Use a short extension so you hit the center of the socket. Locktite makes a Product called "Gasket Eliminator" 515 sealant. I have never used it to install a seal but I know it works when a gasket has to piece missing.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
Seal fitting loose doesn't sound good. I would recheck that seal and make sure its the correct one.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(06-14-2020, 11:47 AM)lift mechanic Wrote: The seal should not be loose at all. It should be a very snug fit. Sure you have the correct seal? The seal, the out side rim, is it rubber or metal? I have never had to use a sealant on a seal, so I am not sure what to use. Have use tried utube. As far as installing the seal you can use a large socket that is the same size as the outer diameter as the seal. Use a short extension so you hit the center of the socket. Locktite makes a Product called "Gasket Eliminator" 515 sealant. I have never used it to install a seal but I know it works when a gasket has to piece missing.

The seal is the one specified on the drawings.  The diameter is about .001" less diameter of the flange in goes into.  Interestingly, I found a video of someone trying to fix a leak from the gear box and the seal was also a little loose in the flange.  

I'll follow up with Grizzly in the morning.  Thanks gentlemen for you thoughts.
Lift mechanic, your a genius. You were right. Not only was I trying to use the wrong seal, I had not actually removed the majority of the old seal from the flange. The seal has a core of metal. I had scraped off the rubber on the inner part of the seal but had not unseated the seal from the flange. Clearly I did not know what I was doing but I guess that’s what they mean about learning from your mistakes! The tech rep also said I should use black oil resistant Permatex on the gasket.

He also had a suggestion for filling the gear box with oil that was specific to this family of planers which I’ll post separately for prosperity.