Urn for my Mother-In-Law
As some background info, my father-in-law was a decorated veteran of WW II, and when he passed away 10 years ago he was cremated and interred at Arlington National Cemetery. His wife of nearly 65 years would share the space once she passed on, which happened last September. The actual service at Arlington was finally scheduled for this past Monday, and I made the urn to hold her cremains.

I believe this makes the 4th urn I’ve made, and each one has been such an honor and a privilege for me to make them. All the urns have been different in some way. Urns for in-ground burial have less restrictions on size, and the columbarium wall at Arlington limits the companion urn to 9x9x9. 

Now to the actual urn, this one is made from a nicely figured board of walnut that I have kept for about 15 years now. The urn I made for my father came from the same board. The only construction picture I took was of the glue-up of the finger joints of the box. There was a discussion here recently about use of clamps in box joint construction, and in my experience clamps are not needed for well fitted joints. None were needed in this case, and for full disclosure these pins were not hand cut-I used an ibox jig on the table saw. 

As explanation of the star on the lid, my mother-in-law was first generation Italian and she loved her bling! She also founded a non-profit charitable organization named Star Charities, so I thought this would be appropriate. The pins are solid brass escutcheon pins, and really pop against the dark walnut. If you are interested in learning more about my amazing mother-in-law, Google ‘Anna Foultz’.

Attached Files Image(s)

Wow! Sounds like Anna was a strong person who did a lot of good. Your urn looks fantastic and is so appropriate being made from the same board as her husbands urn. Good job, Sir! You know she loves it. Thanks for sharing a glimpse of history.
Very well done: both the box and the care that went into it. Condolences on your loss.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
A lot of heart went into that one.
(06-25-2020, 06:02 PM)gov.cheese Wrote: A lot of heart went into that one.

My compliments. I know first hand how hard it is making something like that for a loved one.
Best wishes.
BontzSawWorks.net
Absolutely beautiful, I'm sure she appreciates it.