Transformations
(06-29-2020, 12:39 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote:  It involves a laser and a melon.

Must be an Aussie thing.  Looking forward to the explanation.
Hi Derek

Beautiful as usual. Did you wind up keeping the dowel joinery? Dowel joinery in nice wood seems reasonably strong and acceptable... to me at least.

Andy
"Humble pie was delicious as an abstract motivational tool. But when you have to actually take a bite, it tastes terrible."
Dan Shaughnessy, boston globe on the Patriots loss in Superbowl XLII
(06-29-2020, 04:22 PM)cputnam Wrote: Sweet indeed!  I have an antique hall tree upon which I have almost sat innumerable tines.  Said times usually involve me standing at the front door waiting while LOML needs to do something "real fast."
>>>> Delete
Grrrrrrrrrr!!! GGGGRRRR........
Goes to car, sits down, turns on favorite tunes at 95%; and ignores her tapping for a couple minutes. I'm training her to do solo.
(06-29-2020, 10:37 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Legs, Arlin?

I will post an article on them in due course.
Smile

Regards from Perth

Derek

As in how are the legs attached to the bottom of the table??  I seen how they were mounted but how did you do them.
Yes
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
(06-29-2020, 04:22 PM)cputnam Wrote: I have an antique hall tree upon which I have almost sat innumerable tines.

Ouch!  The very thought makes me squirm.  Glad you didn't, or at least hope you've already had as many kids as you and your bride want.
(06-29-2020, 12:39 PM)Derek Cohen Wrote: How did you cut the drawer front from the apron with such minimal kerf?

Ron, I will show all next article. It involves a laser and a melon.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Well, I'll be a dumb-guy straight-man and venture a guess.   Some sort of very deliberate board separations and re-joins makes the continuity look so nice ?

Example picture from my stuff...  The surface-framing rails on this little table look like pieces of QS Oak that were rabbeted to fit over the table-top piece.  But they are actually re-joined pieces from neighboring origin boards, which have good visual continuity as joined-up now.  This saved me from hogging away a bunch of rabbets.  'Course, I did expend a bit of extra hide glue on this job.

Chris
Chris
I kinda like the table before the transformation.
I would have added a drawer as Derek has, and maybe thickened the top a bit (1/2?) by adding onto the underside, and rolling with it.....
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Tremendous job, Derek. Top notch craftsmanship and I like the look.

Since you weren't allowed to make it less wide, add me to the list of people who would like to know how you made the drawer seamless. In the USA, kerfs have widths. I'm pretty sure it's the same where you live.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
Hello from another Perthite. Really great transformation. That really was a chunky beast you started with. Looks so much better with the legs splayed and the bigger overhang.
Alistair ... Perth!

Another Sandgroper ... where in Perth are you? I am in Rossmoyne.

Are you a member (yet) of the Fine Wood Work Association: http://www.fwwa.org.au/

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com