What does everyone use for wood hardener
CA for me and only to stabilize and prevent tearout or losing chunks when shaping. I try to avoid using any stabilizers otherwise (including CA) because it affects any stains or finish applied to the final piece. Sanding is more of a concern with burls and other punky woods, because any soft-backed sanding pads will cause uneven sanding. So, I try to use a hard-backed sanding sheet and a light touch.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
(07-07-2020, 10:37 AM)AHill Wrote: CA for me and only to stabilize and prevent tearout or losing chunks when shaping.  I try to avoid using any stabilizers otherwise (including CA) because it affects any stains or finish applied to the final piece.  Sanding is more of a concern with burls and other punky woods, because any soft-backed sanding pads will cause uneven sanding.  So, I try to use a hard-backed sanding sheet and a light touch.

If you can support your sanding device on your toolrest and sand with the piece in motion, you won't dish out delignified (white soft) wood.  When it comes time to set with water and sand stationary, I try to support the disk on sound wood and sand round and round, not in the soft spots. 

Remember, as has been said, life's too short to turn crappy wood.
Better to follow the leader than the pack. Less to step in.