Router Bits / Yonico
Hi
Looking for feedback. 
I picked up a Yonico bit on Amazon cause I needed a longer length template bit. I usually will stick with a white side, amana or freud if I special order a bit.
I did not see exactly what I was looking for on my other brand, other then this Yonico bit. The price was almost too good to believe which usually scares me. But I ordered it anyways cause I need it for this wknd. Much to my surprise, it looks like a great bit. Looks well made. 
Says they are out of New Jersey, with the name I just expected china and I never heard of Yonico before . . . .

Anyone else use Yonico bits and have you had good luck?

so just wondering 

thanks
I have a couple of Yonico bits.  They offered the shape I was looking for.  Like you, I thought the low price would mean they would be of poor quality but they have performed well.  I'd buy them again.  

John
(07-01-2020, 09:36 AM)jteneyck Wrote: I have a couple of Yonico bits.  They offered the shape I was looking for.  Like you, I thought the low price would mean they would be of poor quality but they have performed well.  I'd buy them again.  

John

Same here.  The first Yonico I bought was a tongue and groove set and it surprised me.  I've since bought several others not disappointed.

I don't know how long they will last, tho.
rwe2156 hits on my question. Useful life is where the value of a bit kicks in for me on commonly used profiles. In tests the differences in longevity are quite distinct. That is, a $20 bit I have to buy 4 times for a given period of use isn't a better value than a $40 bit I buy once for the same amount of use. I do enjoy lower priced bits when I want to try out a profile or need a one-off profile. I don't want to spend $140 for a bit to set in a drawer for years ;-)
When I was young I sought the wisdom of the ages.  Now it seems I've found the wiz-dumb of the age-ed.

My son-in-law gave me a Yonico set of rail, stile, and raised panel bits.  I only made six doors for my daughter but they were perfect.  If I was doing 50 doors I would be concerned.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood
I use the 1/8” spiral carbides in my cnc. They get used pretty hard. Cheap enough, I don’t mind tossing if I see fuzzies or burning.
VH07V  
Of the handful I've used, including a couple of top & bottom bearing pattern bits, they have been great.

They do tend to have less carbide (just looking at them with my eyeballs so I can't say anything substantive about the quality of the carbide) than say a Whiteside branded bit. 

Perhaps call this level of bits "hobbiest". As mentioned above, good for low duty-cycle use but perhaps consider something a little more substantial like Freud or Whiteside if there are a few hundred or thousand linear feet of material to run. Probably should be using a shaper for that anyway.

I do believe they are sourced from China.  A decent selection on eBay through https://www.ebay.com/str/precisionbits

And another decent selection of what might be termed hobbiest bits at : http://www.ebaystores.com/Super-Carbide-Tools?_rdc=1
Don't sweat the petty things and don't pet the sweaty things. -- G. Carlin
I bought a bead/cove set. They've worked well so far, though I wish it had an anti-kickback design.
Cellulose runs through my veins!
thanks all

seems your comments were right in-line with what I was thinking. It helps.
(07-02-2020, 09:55 AM)mikeminn221 Wrote: thanks all

seems your comments were right in-line with what I was thinking. It helps.

I've only had one issue with a Yonico bit and that was that it came loose in its shipping container and rattled around against other metal parts of the bit and chipped the carbide.   This was a two piece bit set if I recall.
WoodNET... the new safespace