How to properly tight copper union?
Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supplies...B016Y9V89C

How much cranking do you have to do to get it to seal?
VH07V  
What type of fitting are you screwing into? The threads on that will need pipe dope(I prefer that over tape) and are tapered threads, needing screwed into a tapered female fitting. Generally, tighten until the force is tight and about a quarter turn more.

The trouble with that type fitting is the copper end needs to be sweated first, meaning joining means holding that fitting and turning the other end.
(07-02-2020, 08:11 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: What type of fitting are you screwing into? The threads on that will need pipe dope(I prefer that over tape) and are tapered threads, needing screwed into a tapered female fitting. Generally, tighten until the force is tight and about a quarter turn more.

The trouble with that type fitting is the copper end needs to be sweated first, meaning joining means holding that fitting and turning the other end.

+1

Like Mack said... What exactly are you doing?

If you use something like Blue Rectorseal you won't have to crank it down very hard. Snug and maybe a 1/4 turn after that.

IMHO, everybody who does any of their own plumbing work should own a can of Rectorseal. It never completely hardens so it's easy to dissemble if needed.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

" What would Fred do?"

... CLETUS

(07-02-2020, 08:11 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: What type of fitting are you screwing into? The threads on that will need pipe dope(I prefer that over tape) and are tapered threads, needing screwed into a tapered female fitting. Generally, tighten until the force is tight and about a quarter turn more.

+1
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

That's a union, there is a center sealing interface. I think he understands the male NPT thread.

For that interface though, it would be similar to the NPT. You could always snug it more if it drips.
Rocket Science is more fun when you actually have rockets. 

"The Constitution is not an instrument for the government to restrain the people, it is an instrument for the people to restrain the government." -- Patrick Henry
The fitting has 2 sets of wrench flats for a reason. Use 2 wrenches. Common mistake is to get enough solder in the fitting that it runs down to the mating faces. It’s trash if you do. A dielectric union will have a rubber gasket between the sealing faces and is easier to seal. Ensure you aren’t breaking a ground path if you go that route. Properly aligned, allowed to completely cool, soldered carefully and tightened with 2 wrenches, the fitting you listed should give no issues.
Blackhat

Bad experiences come from poor decisions. So do good stories. 

Yes the female threads to fixture, no problem. It’s the two mating faces of the union. As to the soldering, I will be making up the fittings with the faces up, so there shouldn’t be any drips getting in the way.
I guess the technique will be to keep tightening until there are no leaks.
Bad thing about these types fittings is there are three places where can be a failure.
I can’t use dielectrics in this situation. It’s for a UV light and the maker strongly recommends against using dielectrics. Apparently, there is enough UV, that it destroys the plastic in the fitting.
VH07V  
(07-02-2020, 03:29 AM)EightFingers Wrote: Like this one:

https://www.amazon.com/Everflow-Supplies...B016Y9V89C

How much cranking do you have to do to get it to seal?

you can't use one of these?

[Image: 104_10030330.webp]

depending on where you are using it might look at one of these

[Image: 421319LF_usn.jpg]
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

What is it?
VH07V  
(07-03-2020, 01:40 AM)EightFingers Wrote: What is it?

Those are just copper to male thread adapters, not unions.  Roly