Interesting Find at Dads
Hey all, I don't think I've ever posted in Hand Tools before, but I am at my parent's in Washington and Dad was showing me some really interesting hand saws he's found at various garage sales. Most of the common ones he's been cutting with his plasma cutter making neat landscapes and other designs for sale at my Mom's craft shows.

Some of them are pretty interesting, including one that was reportedly given to him by the son of a craftsman who actually used the saw to build stuff at Disneyland in the early 50's when it was under initial construction.

The one I'm really curious about now, and hopefully someone here can shed some light on is what appears to be a solid brass hand saw.

I've never seen a brass saw blade like this one before. Any idea what it is? He has a few other similar steel saws too. Some with long curves in the back of the blade, I'm guessing rip saws?

Thanks,
Kevin
Have you tested it with a magnet to confirm that it's solid brass, and not a coating?  I've never heard of a brass saw, but there's lots of things out there I haven't heard of.  There are non-sparking saws, one example being here: from Aven Safety  If that's what your dad has, he should NOT NOT NOT mess with it.  Beryllium copper, one of the more common alloys used in non-sparking tools, is toxic in any form other than the finished, solid object (e.g., as in dust or particulates).  So, if you don't know, assume the most hazardous.

For some background on saws, you can't do better online than The Disstonian Institute - plentiful information on Disston saws, Disston being the Big Dog in 19th and 20th century American woodworking handsaws. This link  will also give you some good basic information.

I hope your dad has done the research to understand when he finds a high quality saw, so he doesn't accidentally cut up a good tool.  The links I posted earlier will help.
Possibly used to cut styrofoam used as mold patterns. The brass could make it so that it the plastics sawdust wouldn't cling to the saw. Non-ferrous saw plates are also used to cut brass, copper, and aluminum.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
Test with a magnet and next, in a small spot, take a bit of lacquer thinner on a cloth and rub to make sure it is not a dried lubricant/other coating. I have seen some tools that have that same color, but it was a dried coating of some sort.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(07-06-2020, 07:23 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Test with a magnet and next, in a small spot, take a bit of lacquer thinner on a cloth and rub to make sure it is not a dried lubricant/other coating.  I have seen some tools that have that same color, but it was a dried coating of some sort.

dried lubricant/other coating. I have seen some tools that have that same color, but it was a dried coating of some sort

I have as well, Tony...
Winkgrin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

Have you pointed out to your Dada that those saws may well be worth more as a saw than art?
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
(07-06-2020, 07:32 PM)cputnam Wrote: Have you pointed out to your Dada that those saws may well be worth more as a saw than art?

He's well aware that some are worth more than art. He's only been cutting up the newer ones he knows are not of any particular value.

He's got a couple interesting looking ones, including an old one with a metal handle, one that was reportedly used constructing Disneyland in the 50's, and this brass one.

The blade is definitely brass, not magnetic at all, however the bolts are magnetic. Checked with the guy at Disston Institute and he's unaware of what it might be. Thinks it's a 70/80's era based on the handle, but I'm not certain it's a Disston handle, leaning towards a EC Atkins, based on the bolt and carving patterns.

It's certainly interesting for sure. Unfortunately the medallion is missing that would give more information.

Kevin
Handle looks like a Disston D-23. 

May start there?

Happen to have a couple....one was a bit expensive....

Price tag said ....FREE.....who am I to argue...
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
[Image: attachment.php?aid=28153]

You didn't try to bargain the price down?  We're going to need to take away your membership card if you keep that kind of behavior up.
As Napoleon was know to have said:  "Never interrupt your opponent, when they are making a mistake....it's bad manners, eh"

IF a price tag says FREE.....I have learned never to argue.....
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that