How do I protect this from rust?
I picked up a spoke pointer and hollow auger a while back, and with my staked stool project, I finally have a use for them, so today I started cleaning them up. I soaked them in vinegar for an hour or so, and cleaned them up. There’s still some rust on the hollow auger, so I’ll need to hit that again. I’ll need to make a new iron for the spoke pointer, but I think the iron on the hollow auger is salvageable.

Obviously the tools are nowhere near “collector” grade, so it’s not about redoing the original finishes. What should I do to protect them from rust and keep them usable?

Thanks!

Attached Files Image(s)

Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
I'd wipe down with any light oil or lubricant you have handy.  Wouldn't go out and spend on any special product.
(07-06-2020, 08:26 PM)Ricky Wrote: I'd wipe down with any light oil or lubricant you have handy.  Wouldn't go out and spend on any special product.

yes
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I have had good luck with Autosol Metal Polish cleaning up rust. It also seems to leave a very thin protective coat behind.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
I bought an old Germantown hammer that had a loose head.  I took it apart and cleaned up the battered shoulder and put it back together with new wedges.  I gave the handle a coat of BLO and while I was at it I wiped down the head with BLO as well. After a number of years the head is still clean as a whistle.
Thanks guys, I’ll try some light oil.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
If your shop is humid or experiences big swing of humidity between seasons, light oil won't save your tools. If your place is dry, it is a different story. Use moovit oil, evapo rust rust block or the like. Proven products.

Simon
I don’t have a general problem with my tools rusting, but these were quite rusty when I bought them. It seems like the stuff that was formerly rusty is more susceptible...more like I’m missing a “last step” in the process.
(07-07-2020, 04:39 PM)MauleSkinner Wrote: I don’t have a general problem with my tools rusting, but these were quite rusty when I bought them. It seems like the stuff that was formerly rusty is more susceptible...more like I’m missing a “last step” in the process.

I live in one of the most humid counties in Florida..We are on a penninsula surrounded by salt water on three sides...whenever I finish using a tool, I wipe it off with an oily rag....They stay in a garage with no heating or cooling...I use full synthetic engine oil...no rust...as long as I remember to wipe them down...Just the acid and salt in your hands can cause rust...German machinists referred to it as "poison hands".....
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

I', the opposite if Jack - pretty dry here is the desert southwest, but the hu,idity can hit 95% overnight. Anyway, I swear by CorrosionX HD. Nothing I've used it on has rusted in 20 years and that includes saltwater fishing gear.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard