How do I protect this from rust?
(07-09-2020, 07:19 PM)cputnam Wrote: I', the opposite if Jack - pretty dry here is the desert southwest, but the hu,idity can hit 95% overnight.  Anyway, I swear by CorrosionX HD.  Nothing I've used it on has rusted in 20 years and that includes saltwater fishing gear.

One thing I have learned is....many things will prevent rust.....AS LONG as they are used faithfully....
Winkgrin  
Big Grin
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(07-09-2020, 10:31 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............................
One thing I have learned is....many things will prevent rust.....AS LONG as they are used faithfully....
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

That's quite true. I used to use WD-40 on my table saw, and it did a good job until I forgot to reapply it often enough. Now, with the B T-9, I can use the saw a few times, before re-spraying the top.

I find moovit better than anything else (almost) when it comes to hand tools. The oil seems to stick and have an effect for quite a long time, summer or winter. Forget about camellia oil which is overpriced and not as effective as it's made to believe at all in my experience.

Simon
You could use johnson's paste wax too
(07-09-2020, 10:31 PM)Timberwolf Wrote: ............................
Winkgrin  
Big Grin

For my cast iron tools, I generally apply CorrosionX HD on an annual basis - if I remember. Anyway, I think the synthetic oil and CorrosionX HD form a bind with the metal that creates a layer of moisture resistance. Hopefully, we have a chemist in our midst who will pipe up in this thread.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard