What's the story on Metabo?
As I recall when shopping at Tool Nut, Metabo tools were ungodly expensive (like Festool pricing).  But I see them now at Lowe's and the pricing seems competitive. 

I am guessing that they have redirected their marketing.  But what is the current quality?
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
It's just rebadged Hitachi low-end stuff. Nothing in common with the name it represents. Criminal, in my opinion.
Hitachi bought out Metabo, and put the name on their tools, at least the ones called Metabo HPT (the HPT is Hitachi Power Tools). You can search around, I think the real ones are still being sold....but maybe they pulled them from the US.I agree with Robin about it  being criminal...but that's the way the world works I guess.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-07-2020, 04:37 PM)fredhargis Wrote: Hitachi bought out Metabo, and put the name on their tools, at least the ones called Metabo HPT (the HPT is Hitachi Power Tools). You can search around, I think the real ones are still being sold....but maybe they pulled them from the US.I agree with Robin about it  being criminal...but that's the way the world works I guess.

Reminds me a little of Ryobi.  Ryobi sold the name for use outside of Japan, I think.  You can still find high-end Ryobi stuff on eBay.
Quote:It's just rebadged Hitachi low-end stuff. Nothing in common with the name it represents. Criminal, in my opinion.

This is simply not true and is misinformed.   

Hitachi pneumatic nailers are some of the best in the industry.  Their mitersaws enjoy a good reputation among pros too.   Now, the cordless stuff is clearly lagging behind the big boys.

What most people don't realize is that Hitachi bought Metabo, but they aren't calling the shots.  KKR - the wall streeters that brought us RJRNabisco are.   This will explain much of what's seen on the front line of the tools shelves.
I just hope they don't screw with the Metabo line of angle grinders....there is no equal.

Ed
Several years ago, I bought a Hitachi cordless drill for about $70. I did not read the package well enough. It was actually a Hitachi Koki. Yep, much cheaper version of the regular Hitachi. Ok for occasional shop use.
(07-07-2020, 08:29 PM)Cabinet Monkey Wrote: This is simply not true and is misinformed.   

Hitachi pneumatic nailers are some of the best in the industry.  Their mitersaws enjoy a good reputation among pros too.   Now, the cordless stuff is clearly lagging behind the big boys.

What most people don't realize is that Hitachi bought Metabo, but they aren't calling the shots.  KKR - the wall streeters that brought us RJRNabisco are.   This will explain much of what's seen on the front line of the tools shelves.

Anybody try a Metabo paint remover?  It looks like a nice, solid tool, but I have only seen videos.
(07-08-2020, 12:05 AM)K. L McReynolds Wrote: Several years ago, I bought a Hitachi cordless drill for about $70. I did not read the package well enough. It was actually a Hitachi Koki. Yep, much cheaper version of the regular Hitachi. Ok for occasional shop use.

The drill was sub par because Hitachi battery tools just aren't at the forefront.  It has nothing to do with KOKI.  

That's name of the Holding Co. that Hitachi Japan uses/used to conduct business.  It's not a marketing name or lineup like Firestorm or Quantum from Black and Decker.

If you look at the label on the nailers , they say Hitachi Koki - made in Japan.   And they are 1st rate.
"Anybody try a Metabo paint remover?  It looks like a nice, solid tool, but I have only seen videos."

Yep, did an entire garage. Was very happy with the results. Still took time and effort but the paint job looked great.