expandable garden hoses
I used 1 with my pressure washer a few years ago. I had a soaker hose when I was done. Holes all over. Not sure why that happened, but it was trash after that.
I've always wondered myself. After reading this thread, the answer seems to be don't do anything with one that you would do with a normal garden hose. So I can't do things like drag 90' of one of these around to water some trees, or forget and leave it out and have a car drive over it.

Good answers...loml has a birthday next month, just might get her one.

Ed
I like them a lot for the basic watering tasks - flowers planters and pots, annuals in the ground, car washing, filling the fountain, etc.  Anywhere you need water flow for light duty jobs.  I have bought 3 of them and only one has failed in about 4 years.  Definitely need to not abuse them, as they are a bit more delicate than regular hoses, but also need less manhandling - which is the whole point.  Also, be sure not to leave them out in winter, but you should take in regular hoses as well.

They take up roughly the same space as a 50' extension cord, and can hang from my pegboard right next to the hose bib in the garage.  Easy to gather and store after you let the water run out.  A regular hose would have to be kept just outside the garage and then requires the hose to run across the stairway into the house if i want to keep it hooked up.  That was a real PITA.  

Wife absolutely loves them.  I will keep buying them.
sleepy hollow

(07-14-2020, 08:20 AM)sleepy hollow Wrote: I like them a lot for the basic watering tasks - flowers planters and pots, annuals in the ground, car washing, filling the fountain, etc.  Anywhere you need water flow for light duty jobs.  I have bought 3 of them and only one has failed in about 4 years.  Definitely need to not abuse them, as they are a bit more delicate than regular hoses, but also need less manhandling - which is the whole point.  Also, be sure not to leave them out in winter, but you should take in regular hoses as well.

They take up roughly the same space as a 50' extension cord, and can hang from my pegboard right next to the hose bib in the garage.  Easy to gather and store after you let the water run out.  A regular hose would have to be kept just outside the garage and then requires the hose to run across the stairway into the house if i want to keep it hooked up.  That was a real PITA.  

Wife absolutely loves them.  I will keep buying them.

Yup they do have their place. The best use I have seen is the potable versions for RVs. With limited storage space they are great for RVs.
(07-14-2020, 08:33 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: Yup they do have their place. The best use I have seen is the potable versions for RVs. With limited storage space they are great for RVs.

I haven't looked into those types, as mine came with a coiled plastic hose.  It's ok, but to be honest, those coiled hoses are a bit of a pain.

At home, we have a soft hose, made like a fire hose with synthetic outer 'canvas' and inner synthetic rubber liner, but it doesn't shrink in length when not under pressure.  1/2" hose, and very light, even with water in it.  It's there for light garden duty and filling the bird bath every morning.  Super soft and easy to handle when the pressure is bled off, but a bit stiff when under pressure.  Being 1/2", it won't flow as much as the more common 5/8" hose, but that doesn't matter for our needs.

DW thinks it's terrible, probably because it's 'different', and I think it's the greatest thing since sliced bread.  
Laugh  We're going on our fourth summer with it, and it's been leak free so far.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
We've had several, with similar results to most of the responders above...Convenient for watering the plants on the front porch (just added a hosebibb for that sole purpose), but otherwise too gimmicky for regular use. We have a watering can next to the hose for the "wasted" water that needs to empty when de-pressurizing the hose after use...