Which dust extractor should I keep?
A while back I bought a Fein fust extractor model 9.55.13 to use when sanding my projects. It's great, low noise, great suction and auto start, filters to 1 micron and I have one replacement bag left. It's the vacuum and hose.

I have inherited a Alto WAP SQ10 which has all the features of the Fein dust extractor including very quiet and I have 6 replacement bags for it. It is the vacuum, hose and metal wand and floor head parts.

Both are German made and well built. I have the Alto listed for sale but now I am thinking I should keep that one as it has more bags and can be used as a general vacuum in addition to being a dust extractor. I think the Fein brand has more name recognition and would sell faster.

What would be a fair price for the Fein? I only use it for sanding and it's in great shape albeit dusty.

Should I just keep them both? What would you do if you were in this situation.?
I would keep them both.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(07-12-2020, 10:37 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: A while back I bought a Fein fust extractor model 9.55.13 to use when sanding my projects.  It's great, low noise, great suction and auto start, filters to 1 micron and I have one replacement bag left.  It's the vacuum and hose.

I have inherited a Alto WAP SQ10 which has all the features of the Fein dust extractor including very quiet and I have 6 replacement bags for it.  It is the vacuum, hose and metal wand and floor head parts.

Both are German made and well built.  I have the Alto listed for sale but now I am thinking I should keep that one as it has more bags and can be used as a general vacuum in addition to being a dust extractor.  I think the Fein brand has more name recognition and would sell faster.

What would be a fair price for the Fein?  I only use it for sanding and it's in great shape albeit dusty.

Should I just keep them both?  What would you do if you were in this situation.?

Def keep both. 

It's REALLY nice to have a vacuum dedicated as a wet vac for emergencies. Maybe it's just me but I need a wet vac for one weird thing or another often enough to be super glad I've got it. 

It's also nice to have a beater vac for the really messy jobs. 

That said, I should admit I have 4 home vacs, 4 shop vacs and a cyclone. I *really* like vacs.
Are those bags pricey like the Festool's?

You may consider getting a Dust Deputy whether you decide to keep both or sell one of them. It would save tons of money on bags if they're expensive. It's also much easier to clear a bucket of dust than replacing the filter bag. You may not need to replace your bag until 10 years or more later if you use a DD.

I'd definitely sell one of them and use the proceed to get a DD, or if you do need two extractors, two DDs plus one cheapo shop vac (Ridgid from Home Depot during sale, etc.). You can easily get free buckets for the DD from the local restaurant that you befriend.

If a DD is too pricey, you can get a similar thing (called dustopper) from Home Depot at half the price (?). Check the youtube for its reviews.

Simon
Having a second vacuum of that quality would be a real pleasure to have in my garage workshop. I would leave one stationary to one tool I have in mind and the other fit general needs. By all means I would keep them both.
Any free advice given is worth double price paid.
I have a Rigid shop vac for any remodelling debris use and would use that of I ever needed a wet vac. I have a 3.5 HP dust collector with 6" port for the machines, saw, planer, jointer, router table.

Bags are like $15 bucks each for the Alto wap vacuum and I have 6 of them, I only have 1 bag left for the Fein. So technically I have four vacuums not including the 2 my lol uses inside the house.

Having to clean out houses/ businesses for four family members that passed over the years has made me to not want to hoard stuff just to have it and get rid of things if I am not really using them. I guess I have been traumatized by it all and covid has not helped. I have organized and purged a lot of stuff since March when lockdowns began.

I am still leaning towards selling the Fein. What is a reasonable price to ask for it? $200? It works great and I am just a hobby we so it's not used all that much.
It's pretty clear to me that you don't need so many extractors/vacs, sitting idly and collecting dust. Selling one of them is a logical conclusion. $200 sounds like a good starting point for counter offers. If it doesn't sell, you can lower the price and try again.
Like you, over the pandemic weeks, I got rid of quite a lot of things in my shop. I really felt better........
Simon
(07-15-2020, 02:56 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: I have a Rigid shop vac for any remodelling debris use and would use that of I ever needed a wet vac.  I have a 3.5 HP dust collector with 6" port for the machines, saw, planer, jointer, router table.

Bags are like $15 bucks each for the Alto wap vacuum and I have 6 of them, I only have 1 bag left for the Fein.  So technically I have four vacuums not including the 2 my lol uses inside the house.

Having to clean out houses/ businesses for four family members that passed over the years has made me to not want to hoard stuff just to have it and get rid of things if I am not really using them.  I guess I have been traumatized by it all and covid has not helped.  I have organized and purged a lot of stuff since March when lockdowns began.

I am still leaning towards selling the Fein.  What is a reasonable price to ask for it?  $200?  It works great and I am just a hobby we so it's not used all that much.

Sale Fein , known brand so you will get good response.