Strange paint issue
I just patched the plaster on the walls and around the windows in my kitchen, after that I put on a coat of latex primer. In two spots the primer pealed off like dead skin after a sunburn. The rest of the wall areas are fine, it just these two spots, and I don't see anything different about them. The plaster has dried for a full 24 hours.

Any thoughts?

I'm concerned because I'm going to be putting a backsplash over it, and I don't want to worry about the adhesive tape pealing off as well.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
Look at the surface of the paint that peeled off. What's stuck to it????
"Truth is a highway leading to freedom"  --Kris Kristofferson

Wild Turkey
We may see the writing on the wall, but all we do is criticize the handwriting.
(joined 10/1999)
(07-17-2020, 05:29 PM)Wild Turkey Wrote: Look at the surface of the paint that peeled off.  What's stuck to it????

Nothing, it's fresh plaster.
Mike

I work on the 50-50-90 rule: If there's a 50-50 choice, I'll pick the wrong one 90% of the time!
(07-17-2020, 05:34 PM)Scouter Wrote: Nothing, it's fresh plaster.

That's the problem. Plaster can easily take 6 days or more to dry before you can paint it. Drywall mud can sometimes be painted after 24 hours but it depends on how humid it is where you are.
(07-17-2020, 05:57 PM)Robert Adams Wrote:               That's the problem. Plaster can easily take 6 days or more to dry before you can paint it. Drywall mud can sometimes be painted after 24 hours but it depends on how humid it is where you are.

Okay, thanks. Will wait. The can said 24 hrs, but in this heat and humidity maybe that section just didn't dry fully.
Mike

Plaster or drywall compound? How thick is the plaster? Even though hard, that does not mean dry. As stated above it can vary a LOT depending on thickness, humidity and air movement just to name a few. I would never consider paintining after only 24 hours.