Chicken Coop Improvement Channel?
I built my coop 2 years ago from plans I found on the internet. It didn't take long to realize it could use some improvements. So after 2 years, I took a couple of days off this week and finally got 'er done. Also, how I mount hinges and made my doors.

I'm amazed at how many people are raising chickens these days. I don't get it myself. We barely get through a dozen a month and often throw them out because they get way too old  and a dozen is usually 75 cents here. Course it's also too hot here to have egg production for about 6 months out of the year.

Some of the coops I have seen built by people are really well thought out. I like the ones over in europe that use the commercial trays that keep the eggs clean so they don't have to be washed like eggs here in the US.
The first thing I noticed when my hens started laying was how amazingly good the eggs were. I was not used to seeing yolks that were so yellow I wondered if there was food coloring involved. And rich! After about a month I had a regular store bought egg and it was awful!

But besides eggs, chickens are just so darn entertaining. I laugh just watching them run around the yard. And one dark secret - all chicken owners talk to their chickens - in chicken talk.

If you keep them in the coop all the time you would miss out on a lot of fun, but if you let them out in the yard, they WILL tear it up.
Makes me wish my house was zoned farmland.  And a few sheep and a baby goat to give me a back rub.

Goat yoga.

https://youtu.be/gvj6voiH5S0
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-20-2020, 02:05 PM)paulmon Wrote: The first thing I noticed when my hens started laying was how amazingly good the eggs were. I was not used to seeing yolks that were so yellow I wondered if there was food coloring involved. And rich! After about a month I had a regular store bought egg and it was awful!

But besides eggs, chickens are just so darn entertaining. I laugh just watching them run around the yard. And one dark secret - all chicken owners talk to their chickens - in chicken talk.

If you keep them in the coop all the time you would miss out on a lot of fun, but if you let them out in the yard, they WILL tear it up.

No disputing that they taste better. I can get eggs from my parents as their neighbor has chickens at one of their properties and they are constantly giving eggs away. They take dozens a week to the food pantry as well. They have tried selling them but it's more work than it's worth. Though I have seen some people with signs out wanting $3 a dozen, good luck with that...
      We rarely eat eggs by themselves so it really doesn't matter as much. I use them for french toast and when I do my mongolian BBQ (similar to Gengis).
(07-20-2020, 02:05 PM)paulmon Wrote: But besides eggs, chickens are just so darn entertaining. I laugh just watching them run around the yard. And one dark secret - all chicken owners talk to their chickens - in chicken talk.

I will second that, chickens are great pets, plus they eat all the veggie scraps out of the kitchen.

Just watch out for those roosters, I've been bloodied a few times.
(07-20-2020, 12:47 PM)Robert Adams Wrote: I'm amazed at how many people are raising chickens these days. I don't get it myself. We barely get through a dozen a month and often throw them out because they get way too old  and a dozen is usually 75 cents here. Course it's also too hot here to have egg production for about 6 months out of the year.

Some of the coops I have seen built by people are really well thought out. I like the ones over in europe that use the commercial trays that keep the eggs clean so they don't have to be washed like eggs here in the US.

Well, some do it for the same reason that some crazy peeps outfit wood shops to build furniture that's five times as expensive as something one could get at a store downtown.

You don't do it to save money.  Reasons to do it:

- You like having chickens.  Some folks do.

- You like knowing where at least some of your food comes from.

- They provide great hopper and tick control around the acreage.

- The eggs taste better.  They really do.

The chicken palace out here at our place:

(07-20-2020, 02:05 PM)paulmon Wrote: The first thing I noticed when my hens started laying was how amazingly good the eggs were. I was not used to seeing yolks that were so yellow I wondered if there was food coloring involved. And rich! After about a month I had a regular store bought egg and it was awful!

That's what it's all about right there. Plus the fact we get better meat than factory raised chickens that are 10% chicken poop.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

Best coop improvment I did was giving the chickens away and selling the coop.
Sarcasm

Ed
(07-20-2020, 05:19 PM)farmerj111 Wrote: I will second that, chickens are great pets, plus they eat all the veggie scraps out of the kitchen.

Just watch out for those roosters, I've been bloodied a few times.

Yea, I don't need fertilized eggs so I don't need a rooster. If I ever get one accidentally, it will become dinner.