Digital readout for Powermatic planer?
I have a 15HH. I'm not much of a digital readout guy for woodworking, but after changing the settings on my 15HH and trying to get it back to where it was, I can see the utiity. Recommendations? For a specific model? For or against them? How reliable are they?

Thanks in advance.
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
I never use mine on my Grizzly G0454. The batteries have been dead for years... I don't miss it.
2023-2024 NFL Pick 'em
Group ID#: 34296
Group Password IBTP
Aram
i have a igauging [spelling ?] from grizzly tools i use it for exactly what you are thinking of
it works great for that just remember to read the numbers from your last board and you can return anytime
the iguage i have has worked for several years and seems to be still going strong i do not even remember having to replace the battery
turns of buy its self if you forget
what i really like is first pass planing rough lumber when you might have to suddenly open the planer for a thick board with the readout you can just return to the setting
and what you want returning to a setting when you just need one more same size board
I have the Wixey, and find it pretty useful, though maybe because I used it on a combi planer jointer -  When I go back and forth, it is great to know what the last setting was.  I am doing a table using 8/4 lumber, and ran a few pieces through the planer, brought them to 2.05,  then jointed a few more, and was able to bring them to the same thickness very precisely.   I don't track the readings all the time, but definitely enough to justify the purchase.
I have the Wixey on my Delta 15" planer. Very accurate turns it's self off after a few minutes, so that saves on batteries. I maybe change the batteries once a year. What is nice about the digital readout is if you mess up a board and have to re-machine another one. you can get close enough you can not feel the difference from the original board.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(07-21-2020, 11:06 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I have the Wixey on my Delta 15" planer. Very accurate turns it's self off after a few minutes, so that saves on batteries. I maybe change the batteries once a year. What is nice about the digital readout is if you mess up a board and have to re-machine another one. you can get close enough you can not feel the difference from the original board.

Thanks to everyone so far. Lift mechanic, which Wixey did you get? This one? At Rockler
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

I put the Wixey on my Delta as well, I love it.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I just looked at my Wixey DRO but could not find a model #. The one I have did not come with any mounting hardware. Rockler has the one I have item # 24036 for $62.99. I fabricated my own mounting brackets out of aluminum angle and aluminum bar stock. I would include a picture but I am too computer dumb.
Treat others as you want to be treated.

“You only live once, but if you do it right, once is enough.” — Mae West.
24- year cancer survivor
(07-22-2020, 12:47 PM)lift mechanic Wrote: I just looked at my Wixey DRO but could not find a model #. The one I have did not come with any mounting hardware. Rockler has the one I have item # 24036 for $62.99. I fabricated my own mounting brackets out of aluminum angle and aluminum bar stock. I would include a picture but I am too computer dumb.

Thank you. That appears to the the one intended for lunchboxes, but obviously can work on a stationary machine. I 'm going for the slightly pricier one meant for stationary planers -- one of the reviewers installed it on my make/model, comes with brackets, looks like a good way to go.
Best,
Aram, always learning

I didn't realize they had 2 models, the one I used was the WR-510, is there another one?
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.