O poor me!
I figure when I give something to someone, it’s theirs to do with as they see fit. I’ve known far too many people who were disappointed when their kids/grandkids didn’t share their idea of value in things to believe that what I make can be designated by me as an heirloom.

If they treat it as one, great. If it fits a temporary need, and then is able to fit someone else’s need later on, that’s fine, too.

I figure it’s kind of like loaning money to a relative...only do it if you’re willing to forgive the debt. There are far more important things than “stuff” to give my kids/grandkids.
Dave Arbuckle was kind enough to create a Sketchup model of my WorkMate benchtop: http://www.arbolloco.com/sketchup/MauleSkinnerBenchtop.skp
(07-25-2020, 09:44 AM)Halfathumb Wrote: Just looked at DUMB-POLACK's post about the dresser he made for his daughter (which is beautiful BTW) and brought to mind an old memory that still makes me angry.

About 8-10 years ago I built my daughter a complete BR suite with RO. A queen bed, 2 night stands, a dresser and an armoire. I also built my 2 GDs a bed and dresser. They decided to move back to Ak and sold everything which knowing her & her husband probably got Wal Maret prices for everything in 2015. I still can't get over it. I am a Christian and do my best to live a Christian live and do the right thing to forgive, just not successful at it.

Jim

Jim

You made the furniture for love of your daughter.  You love your daughter and gave her away at the wedding.  She chose to sell the furniture instead of move it which is OK.  It is OK for you not to make her anymore either.

Husbands have a lot to do with telling wife's what to do and not to do and he was thinking of the $$$ and not the sentimental part.

"IF" she asks again you can tell her this is not sellable and make it again.  She loves her daddy and daddy loves her.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
You know, after a couple of generations, all your projects are going to Goodwill.....
VH07V  
(07-26-2020, 09:23 AM)AHill Wrote: " I just don't dwell on things I have no power to change."

A great quote by which to live. Don't forget the implied meaning of this quote. Do dwell on and change the things in life you have power over. Mainly that is your self and your actions.
Proud maker of large quantities of sawdust......oh, and the occasional project!
(07-26-2020, 09:03 PM)EightFingers Wrote: You know, after a couple of generations, all your projects are going to Goodwill.....

I think I'll make this into a sign!

Glad its my shop I am responsible for - I only have to make me happy.

O darn. That pride thing.

Jim
Jim
One good thing with my daughter, she knows better than to get rid of it while I am still alive.  After that I won't know...….

Every time I hear about something like this I file for future reference.  Case in point.  I had a good friend who gave both his daughters down payments on homes when they got married.  He saw it as a good way to help them get started.  The older one decides to have an affair and leave her husband.  Left him the house, furniture, everything...….  This was probably only 5 years (maybe less) after they got married.  Dad was not very happy.

I have another one too long to write about a fellow that paid for his kids college.  The short version, 6 years, 3 schools, two of which were out of state, and in the end he never graduated.  Mom and dad footed the whole bill.
Luckily for us we had always told the daughter we would do what we could to help.  My advice to anyone thinking about paying their kids college is DON"T!  Tell them you will help where you can.  Maybe pay the room and board in the dorm so you know they have a roof and 3 squares a day.  No apartments or houses.  Let them get loans etc for their education.  IF they graduate in the planned degree and if you have the means after they get a job then you could pay off the loans.
Dave
"Amateur Putzing in Shop." Northern Wood on Norm 5/07

"Dave's shop is so small you have to go outside to turn around" Big Dave on my old shop
So I built a new shop.  (Picasa went away so did the link to the pictures)
I guess something we all have to remember is that styles change and some women, and men for that matter, like to keep up with the trends so furnishings change often. The things you made for her might have fallen in to that category, but the things for your Grand daughters should not have.

I don't know for sure, but going all-in on Satan worship probably requires an entirely different ambiance in a persons dwelling. So that beautiful, solid wood furniture you built was probably to eye-catching and uplifting for a crowd like that. I'm picturing one of their gatherings as a very dark and angry room. More suitable for pallet furniture with pig iron accents! 
Uhoh
Big Grin 
See … this will never happen to the stuff I make for my family … it's not like the stuff the rest of you build … the family say they like it ... but ... no one else will pay anything for my creations …
No
No
No  …
Big Grin
Life is what happens when you're not paying attention.
Loml's daughters are no different, when something no longer fits their need, it's gone. I just let them buy cheap crap, flat, in a box.

My "handmade" gifts are limited to cutting boards.
Laugh they ain't the fancy ones either....

Ed