Moving a sink
We have this laundry room sink that sticks out into the room--maybe 3' from the wall--and sits beyond the front of the washer/drier stack. Is there a reason why it has to be so far off the wall other than maybe its proximity to the main electrical panel you can see in the picture and a sub panel that's situated below and to the right of the main? Is there a code reason to not move it back?

I want to cut the supply and waste pipes shorter, push the sink back, and then repipe with Sharkbite flex supply lines and a Fernco coupler. Other than the sink sticking out into the room, since the sink isn't bolted to the floor, but it is hard piped, I'm concerned it could take a side hit and break a pipe.

I could swap the location of the sink for the washer/drier, but obviously that would be more work.

Thanks
Paul

Attached Files Image(s)

Is the sink in front of the service panel? Panel is supposed to have 3ft unobstructed in front of it.
Neil Summers Home Inspections

I came to a stop sign and a skanky tweaker chick in a tube top climbed out of the brush and propositioned me.  She looked like she didn't have any teeth so I counted that as a plus.

... Kizar Sosay

(07-26-2020, 07:02 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is the sink in front of the service panel? Panel is supposed to have 3ft unobstructed in front of it.

I'll be back there tonight to get a look but I believe the right edge of the sink is not in line with the left edge of the panel.  If it is not blocking, am I in the clear? I could move the washer/drier/sink to the left maybe an inch. That washer drain hose looks to be at its limit.
(07-26-2020, 07:02 AM)Snipe Hunter Wrote: Is the sink in front of the service panel? Panel is supposed to have 3ft unobstructed in front of it.

And 2’-6 side-to-side at that 3’ deep depth, but that 2’-6 can start at the left side of the panel, with the cover removed (wide lip on some covers doesn’t apply).

If the sink overlaps the panel, that 3’ might not be met, but it’s hard to tell from the pic.  But it sure looks like that’s why it’s way out there.
Tom

“This place smells like that odd combination of flop sweat, hopelessness, aaaand feet"
It was probably stuck out there because of the panel on the right like has been mentioned. Personally I would move it back to the wall and then if it's an issue when you go to sell the house I would just switch it back. 

Another thing I noticed was the plumbing for the drain of your sink and washer. It is not done correctly. As it is when your washer drains the water will run directly back to your sink when the water hits the trap and backs up to the sink since the arm to the sink is right over the trap. It looks like the sink was an afterthought.
Can you move the sink to the other side of the washer/dryer? Would need to adjust the drain, but shouldn't be too bad.

Edit to add: oh, maybe can't get enough fall on the drain line if it is much further.
I would move it back and call it a day. You are not having inspected. If comes up when selling house move it again.
John T.
(07-26-2020, 07:33 AM)Robert Adams Wrote: It was probably stuck out there because of the panel on the right like has been mentioned. Personally I would move it back to the wall and then if it's an issue when you go to sell the house I would just switch it back. 

Another thing I noticed was the plumbing for the drain of your sink and washer. It is not done correctly. As it is when your washer drains the water will run directly back to your sink when the water hits the trap and backs up to the sink since the arm to the sink is right over the trap. It looks like the sink was an afterthought.

He's right.  I would move the trap for the washer higher up and connect it to the stack above the drain for the sink.  Leave the existing trap in place and use it for the sink.

Move the sink.  If it overlaps the service panel it is a code violation.  But if it overlaps the panel, then it is already a code violation as those appliances look to be the standard 30”-32” model, the back of the sink looks to be only about 14-15” offset from the washer, and the washer looks like about 12” from the wall.  
Move it farther out if you are worried about code, move it closer if not, or if not a violation.

Additionally, if it does not have a trap under the sink and uses the one on the stack, that is 32” of funky waste pipe that will give the room a musty odor.

Yes, switch the washer discharge.
The sink looks to be 8" to the left of the panel (with the cover off).

The vertical pipe that the washer and sink drain into is not topped by a vent.  That whole pipe is drainage.  There's a tube tied into the top of the pipe that is the drain for my water softener/purification system.

Regarding the drain setup, is this what I should mimic?  (2:19 mark).

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=h-tUGX3M6zY&t=175s