Simple Base for a Mattress?
My wife, boy and I live in a one bedroom apartment.  The boy's "room" was made with pressure walls.  We expect to move in the next year, but he's quickly outgrowing his toddler crib.
The room is just large enough to fit a trundle mattress -- about 72.5" x 41".  But not a trundle frame.
Is there any reason I can't just build a box out of plywood, with some drawers and structural support, and put the mattress right on top?  The mattress wouldn't be able to recess within the frame, but I'm not sure why that is necessary.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Thanks in advance.  I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

Seems reasonable to me. It's not likely that the mattress will go anywhere on its own.
I helped a Jamaican friend build two or three beds like he makes at home.  They look like our beds except the mattress sits on top of the bed rails, and is supported by slats between them, flush with the top of the rails.  I asked him what keeps the mattress from sliding off.  He said it's not a problem.  

Your approach should be fine.  

John
My preference is for a tall bed.  It leaves more room for storage and less bending over for tucking him in.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
(07-28-2020, 12:47 PM)David Stone Wrote: My wife, boy and I live in a one bedroom apartment.  The boy's "room" was made with pressure walls.  We expect to move in the next year, but he's quickly outgrowing his toddler crib.
The room is just large enough to fit a trundle mattress -- about 72.5" x 41".  But not a trundle frame.
Is there any reason I can't just build a box out of plywood, with some drawers and structural support, and put the mattress right on top?  The mattress wouldn't be able to recess within the frame, but I'm not sure why that is necessary.

Just want to make sure I'm not missing anything here.

Thanks in advance.  I hope everyone is healthy and happy.

I've done that on a couple beds for us.  No biggie.
My bed is build that way and we have been using it for about 10 years no issue.  The mattress does move a bit from time to time but a quick shove gets it back in position.
We have a bed having slats that hold half-inch plywood. Works!
I was told that the bed slats have flexibility to protect the mattress.  Not required if there is a box spring. I had a mattress's springs push through the batting and the dealer said it was because I had it on a plywood base.  He said I could use a foam mattress or a box spring and mattress.

I got a inflatable (Sleep Number) and that issue was resolved.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.