Anyone use a Zero Clearance Insert with Saw Stop?
Hey,

I'm wondering if anyone has used a Zero Clearance insert (ZCI) with a SawStop.  I have the Professional Cabinet Saw.  

I see that Infinity Cutting Tools makes one:  https://www.infinitytools.com/sawstop-ze...serts-4760

[Image: 100-356_2.jpg]

It's a bit pricey, (and currently out of stock), but it looks like a nice piece of gear.

Thanks in advance,

- Ray
I have it. I had a similar one for my previous saw and liked it a lot, so bought this one when I went with a SS. It gets criticized some for having the locking arm on the front. I drilled/tapped a hole and put an eccentric head screw in the front that when tightened it jams against the table opening and locks the plate in place. That isn't my idea, it's also the way the one I had for my Unisaw worked.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-02-2020, 12:21 PM)fredhargis Wrote: I have it. I had a similar one for my previous saw and liked it a lot, so bought this one when I went with a SS. It gets criticized some for having the locking arm on the front. I drilled/tapped a hole and put an eccentric head screw in the front that when tightened it jams against the table opening and locks the plate in place. That isn't my idea, it's also the way the one I had for my Unisaw worked.

With the saw stop is there a reason you can't make it out of baltic birch or mdf ?    I use a pattern bit in a router to copy the regular insert, and screw on a fender washer under the far side and tap holes for leveling screws.    I make several blanks at a time including for 45 degrees if you have a trunnion type.  Roly
I have the PCS, and just use a stock insert that you use your saw to make zero clearance  https://www.amazon.com/SawStop-TSI-SLD-S...B0040H2WZU
No reason I can think of that you couldn't make your own.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
SawStop makes a plate they call a ZCI. It works fine unless you are cutting very thin strips. The opening in the back for the Riving Knife is nearly 1/2” wide, so thin strips (less than 1/4” wide) are at risk to fall in.

I use the SawStop frequently doing demos around the country showing off the MicroJig GRR-RIPPER. This requires cutting 1/4” and even 1/8” strips, so the rear opening is a problem. 

I use their Dado Insert. It has no blade opening until you cut it, and no slot for the riving knife either. 

For those wondering, yes, I remove the riving knife, and no, it is not a safety issue in this case. The thin strips I ma cutting simply cannot exert enough force to pinch the blade should the kerf try to close, and my sample parts being cut are only 8” long.
Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
Know a Fellow Woodworker with the Fine Woodworking Archive?  If so, see "SawStop shop fabricated throat inserts",  FWW Tool & Shop 2016."

Not sure if this link to the above article will work: https://www.finewoodworking.com/membersh...251058.pdf
Thanks for the tip and link to that article Ray. Although a subscriber I hadn't seen it.

Doug
I have one, on my SS contractor saw.
The insert broke apart, the first couple times, as I tried to bring the blade up, for the initial cut through.
Figured out I had to clamp a piece of wood on top of it, then bring the blade up.
I didn't like that I had to remove, and use) the bolts, leveling screws, and other hardware from the original insert, though.
For the price, I'd have thought they could have included new hardware.
That's different than what I got. Mine was complete. Is it a different insert for the contractor saw? You're correct, of course...for the price it should have everything.

I just looked at the Infinity website and the inserts for all the Sawstops are the same (apparently). I noticed they changed the design slightly, making the replaceable strip a little larger. Maybe when they did that the quite including the hardware yo mentioned. I bought mine probably 5 years ago.