Dovetail dozuki question
I am going to buy a saw for cutting dovetails in very hard woods. Typically 3/8" thick or more but not usually much more. Stan Covington is getting me set up with the one I need, to my specs. Only I don't know my specs. So i described what I wanted it to do, and will let the saw smith work out the details.

I did think I knew how long I wanted the blade to be. My current dozukis are 240mm long. That seemed like a good length, nice long stroke, and went with that. Stan said sure, can do, but 210mm is a much more standard length for "hozobiki" saws (new word to me) intended for relatively fine work.

I told him I'd research it and get back. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm also buying a gennou head. I mean, while I'm in there...)
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Web: My woodworking photo site
(08-04-2020, 11:22 PM)Aram Wrote: I am going to buy a saw for cutting dovetails in very hard woods. Typically 3/8" thick or more but not usually much more. Stan Covington is getting me set up with the one I need, to my specs. Only I don't know my specs. So i described what I wanted it to do, and will let the saw smith work out the details.

I did think I knew how long I wanted the blade to be. My current dozukis are 240mm long. That seemed like a good length, nice long stroke, and went with that. Stan said sure, can do, but 210mm is a much more standard length for "hozobiki" saws (new word to me) intended for relatively fine work.

I told him I'd research it and get back. Thoughts?

Thanks in advance.

(I'm also buying a gennou head. I mean, while I'm in there...)

It is an issue of personal preference.  My preference is for the shorter saw, I find them easier to steer accurately.  Please let us know what you buy and how you like it.  Thanks. -Howard
Personally, I would not go longer than 210mm. I have a Nakaya extra fine rip in this length, and a longer plate seems to reduce the feedback with such a fine blade. I have saws with longer plates, but they are thicker and designed for coarser work. Fine cutting dozukis are not only great for dovetails, but the make excellent saws for fine crosscuts in delicate pieces. You need to treat them gently, and feedback becomes increasingly important as the blade gets thinner.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-05-2020, 09:10 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Personally, I would not go longer than 210mm. I have a Nakaya extra fine rip in this length, and a longer plate seems to reduce the feedback with such a fine blade. I have saws with longer plates, but they are thicker and designed for coarser work. Fine cutting dozukis are not only great for dovetails, but the make excellent saws for fine crosscuts in delicate pieces. You need to treat them gently, and feedback becomes increasingly important as the blade gets thinner.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Thank you, Derek. That is exactly what I wanted to know. Would you go even shorter, or thinking 210 is a sweet spot?

BTW I requested rip teeth, planning this to be dedicated to sawing dovetails (maybe small tenons). Your Nakaya has a rip tooth configuration, but you find that it is an accurate cross-cutter?
Best,
Aram, always learning

"Perfection is achieved, not when there is nothing more to add, but when there is nothing left to take away.” Antoine de Saint-Exupery

Hi Aram

I also have a 150mm Z-Saw with fine teeth (25tpi). This is a very controllable saw, perfect for thin and delicate pieces. The two saws are a little different in feel, with the Nakaya leaving the finest kerf and the Z-Saw the one for ultimate control.

These saws are just as good for a crosscut because they have little-to-no set and cut the finest kerf.

Regards from Perth

Derek
Articles on furniture building, shop made tools and tool reviews at www.inthewoodshop.com
(08-05-2020, 11:04 AM)Derek Cohen Wrote: Hi Aram

I also have a 150mm Z-Saw with fine teeth (25tpi). This is a very controllable saw, perfect for thin and delicate pieces. The two saws are a little different in feel, with the Nakaya leaving the finest kerf and the Z-Saw the one for ultimate control.

These saws are just as good for a crosscut because they have little-to-no set and cut the finest kerf.

Regards from Perth

Derek

Thank you.
Best,
Aram, always learning