Cheap weekend?
2 days of yard/garage sales.....had only $12 in my pocket for a "budget".

Friday morning....stopped at the first one that said it had...TOOLS....and spent...$2
Rolleyes

A quarter a piece....square is a Stanley No. 20  8",  C clamps were the 2" size.  
Bit of a drive out to the next sale.....there was a large plastic tray laying on the ground.....didn't need any 12" long screwdrivers...and other such things...but, got to digging around UNDER those big tools....
Rolleyes

Price for the entire tray full (and the tray) $5....price for these two items together?   $1    Yes, I rattle all hollow handled tools.....
Winkgrin

lets see, one bit in the chuck, plus 6 in the handle....North Bros. (pre-Stanley) No. 41....might clean up decent enough to use..

other sales?   some were Saturday only....others were mainly clothes and such things....meh...called it a day.

Saturday.....went back to that first Friday sale,  seeing what was left....hand saw kept tugging at me....could not set it back down..
No

Well, for that price....I guess it can come along.

More sales, no tools....heard a nearby village was having a village wide sales event....drove up there.....more with just clothes, pots & pans....was about to give up...remembered there was an Ice Cream place in the town....decided to stop in ( was a hot, muggy day..) almost ready to park there...nose went on alert!    Parked and went to look over a couple tables filled with tools, and a trailer, to boot.....$2 a pc on the pipe clamps?  Hmmm....dug through a box...saw a few chisels...some I didn't even bother to turn over ( think Handyman..), but there were 3 that looked decent enough....dug around, looking for the "4th" one of the set....oh well....looked over the pipe clamps, picked out the best of the 4..."how much? "  "$3"  handed the man the 3 dollar bills, and headed over for the Ice Cream....then back home..
Chisels?

Was missing the 12mm one.   Made in England...
Pipe clamp...?

1/2" Pony...with about 3' of pipe...

That handsaw?    1955 Disston D-8, 26" long, 10ppi cross cut....nothing missing ( like teeth) nothing bent, nor kinked, nothing broken or cracked...

And that was about it, for the two day sales....total?  $6.50...not counting the $5 for Ice Cream...
Cool

Not too bad?
Winkgrin

May post when I have all of these "treasures" cleaned up...
Confused
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
This confirms one thing.........................................I need to stop working on Saturday's and go shopping !!
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
That fifty cent handsaw?
Confused   

About a 1955 Disston/HK Porter D-8, 10ppi, 26" long...
Pony pipe clamp...1/2 hour soak with PBblaster, a few hammer "taps" then a few drops of 3in1 oil....rust is gone.  1/2" Pony clamp, with 3' of pipe..

That North Bros. No.41?    has a few issues
No  like a broken spring, and this spot..

For fifty cents...I can always use 7 more bits.   Other wise this will be a "parts" drill..
Those three blue handled chisels, Stanley 5002?

Had to be careful around the 18mm's logo.....removing the rust without removing the silk-screened on logo...set is missing the 12mm chisel...I did get these 3 sharpened up..

Enough that the 18mm was paring Pine end grain...AND putting a slice in a finger...never felt a thing. 

Need to rehab the Stanley 8" No. 20 square....woodwork is a bit worn down...

We'll see what the next 2 weekends are like.....
Stay tuned...
You have quite the knack for finding hand saws.
I'll be out this weekend, again.....have a "moving" sale to check out....and....a BARN SALE......
Cool

Stay tuned...
Winkgrin
(08-20-2020, 09:39 AM)bandit571 Wrote: ...and....a BARN SALE....
Be sure to ask them how much for the barn, and whether that includes the foundation.
Never cared for those Danville VA Porter Disstons, post '59......
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Oh really....talking about the yellow plastic handled ones....or the flaky plywood handled ones.....the one I just cleaned up is from ...1955...sorry about that.
Rolleyes
(08-20-2020, 03:44 PM)bandit571 Wrote: Oh really....talking about the yellow plastic handled ones....or the flaky plywood handled ones.....the one I just cleaned up is from ...1955...sorry about that.
Rolleyes

Porter bought the Disston operation in '55, operated in Phila until they moved it in '59.  Laminated handles first appeared in
'47.  https://law.justia.com/cases/federal/app...596/14227/

"The 1947 catalog lists the D-15 saw with a laminate handle. This would be it. Rosewood is listed again in 1951. This probably resulted from a wood-supply issue."  Laminate handles generally dated from that time.

http://www.disstonianinstitute.com/victorypage.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Hmmm, Roh-Kay, Raggy....

Solid wood ( comfy handle, too)  flaky finish....was soon relieved of the bad finish.   Steel hardware, with a cooper plate, then the nickel plate on top of that..

Plate was a bit nasty....still, it was straight, no missing teeth, no kinks or bends....Had some rusty spots, a few paint splobs, and a couple tar spots...old chisel used as a scraper to get the worst off....
Cool

Then 80 grit in the palm sander...followed by some 220 grit....anything finer is a waste of time, anyway...as it doesn't make any difference ( tried some 1000 grit..meh)
Rolleyes

Didn't really expect an etch....anyway.   Hardware was wire wheel to shine up.   A coat of Gunstock Stain was brushed on, allowed to dry, then wiped down..

Re-assembled.   Made sure the slots were clocked.  

Medallion is the Disston USA with the stars....looks like a chain around the keystone and scales.  
Test cut...no binding, cuts easy and fast...

"Cheap saw"  meets  cheap pine....cuts are straight..operator error cause it to tilt a bit...was using a full length stroke, too. 
Fifty cents for a Disston B-8, 10ppi, 26" length cross cut saw....works for me....will keep it around, just like that $1 rip saw..

And a D-112....

I just might have room in the til for them...
Rolleyes