Cheap weekend?
(08-18-2020, 08:59 PM)stav Wrote: You have quite the knack for finding hand saws.

Funny you say that.  Out here they are often found in the free pile or up against trash cans at clean outs.  I stopped picking them up, I never use one and don't have space for more.  Just about everything I use has a tail or a battery when it comes to cutting
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Hey!  That's GREAT!  
Winkgrin Leaves more for me!
Cool
Cool
Cool

BTW..I just happen to USE these saws....
Winkgrin
Show me a picture, I'll build a project from that
I have a much maligned Danville, VA Disston with a laminated handle. It was given to me, brand new by my Father as a birthday gift when I turned 13.

It was the saw that I first learned how to use a handsaw. It was the saw that inspired me to build my first project and help put me on a path of a 40 year woodworking hobby. It was the saw I used to cut down to fit all my interior doors in my first house. When I decided to learn how to sharpen saws, it was the one that I tried first, then second, and finally third before I got the hang of it.

It s still in my saw inventory, nice and sharp and ready for use. Even still has its original cardboard sleeve. I have Many nicer saws now, but I always will keep the plywood Disston with its 70s inspired etching for what it inspired me to try.
John
(08-20-2020, 08:42 PM)Bob10 Wrote: Funny you say that.  Out here they are often found in the free pile or up against trash cans at clean outs.  I stopped picking them up, I never use one and don't have space for more.  Just about everything I use has a tail or a battery when it comes to cutting

You guys looking for tools in Cali have it too easy with all the free items I see you posting in S&S.  I can't find saws like that here to save my life.  Feel free to pick them up and ship out east.  
Laugh
So...back to.."Cheap Weekend"
Winkgrin 

Another Friday estate sale to go to....

Seen a grinder sitting on a table....tried to find out how much...while just standing there, holding this heavy item in BOTH hands....

First "sales-guy"   ......$30?   I give him a blank stare...He said the $25 was as low as he could go.....so, I just hand him the grinder, and go back to shopping....

Soon a second, different Sales-guy comes up...."You the one asking about the grinder?"  "yeah.."
"How about $10?"     So...I paid the tenspot, and then had to lug the blasted thing a 1/2 block to my van...and left...Didn't need any more screwdrivers, eggbeaters, brace drills...
The  $10 Grinder? 
Confused

Wheels look brand new....
Winkgrin

Seems to be a good grinder model...

And, to think...there IS another such sale, tomorrow.

Place was in a cul-de-sac....with that first hour of the morning "Feeding Frenzy"  going on....tomorrow will be a "Barn Sale", with lots of room to park.....
Stay tuned...
(08-21-2020, 07:22 AM)stav Wrote: You guys looking for tools in Cali have it too easy with all the free items I see you posting in S&S.  I can't find saws like that here to save my life.  Feel free to pick them up and ship out east.  
Laugh

Wood is expensive here.  Last saw I picked up for the taking was a PM66 all original in beautiful shape.  If I gave you a list of stuff I have got for the taking
you wouldn't believe me.  One of the first was a State spindle sander
Phydeaux said "Loving your enemy and doing good for those that hurt you does not preclude killing them if they make that necessary."

Phil Thien

women have trouble understanding Trump's MAGA theme because they had so little involvement in making America great the first time around.

Bandit - That grinder looks unused.  Nice score for $10.  

Bob10 - I've been watching you post free items in S&S for a while now. I would pretty much believe anything now.
Barn Sale, today...the "Before"

The screwdrivers were free....later?

Threw out the badly pitted chisel blade..kept the handle....Had another, similar handle with a bad blade....toss the blade, re-use the handle.   3/4" wide bevel edge chisel has a GERMANY stamp...haven't found any markings on the 3/8" firmer/ mortise chisel......green handled screwdriver needed the shank hammered straight....give things a good clean up, chisels are sharpened up.
Wasn't much to see, or buy this past weekend....at least nothing the shop "needed".   However, I am trying to save back a bit of cash....West Liberty, OH. is having their annual Tractor Fest this coming Labor Day Weekend...5th through the 7th.....will be going rust hunting ( I hope) and taking my camera along....stay tuned...
Big Grin