Tilt out drawer hinge
So I am finishing up a desk so I can have a dedicated space to work from home.

I have a drawer on the desk that will have a tip down front for a laptop. I ordered hinges for that task and of course they dont come with instructions.

In looking at other furniture at stores, the drawer bottom is 1/2" and the drawer face has a 1/2" rabbet on the bottom presumably to clear the bottom of the drawer when tipping it out. The hinges in the store furniture look the same on both halves so not quite what I have to use.

My question is, which half secures to the drawer front and which half secures to the drawer bottom? Left piece on drawer bottom and right piece on front or vice versa? Does it even matter?

Attached Files Image(s)

I just built such a desk and used very similar hinges. I put the spring end on the flap, worked out OK but still not exactly what I was looking for.

I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
(08-21-2020, 07:55 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: So I am finishing up a desk so I can have a dedicated space to work from home.  

I have a drawer on the desk that will have a tip down front for a laptop.  I ordered hinges for that task and of course they dont come with instructions.

In looking at other furniture at stores, the drawer bottom is 1/2" and the drawer face has a 1/2" rabbet on the bottom presumably to clear the bottom of the drawer when tipping it out.  The hinges in the store furniture look the same on both halves so not quite what I have to use.

My question is, which half secures to the drawer front and which half secures to the drawer bottom?  Left piece on drawer bottom and right piece on front or vice versa?  Does it even matter?

Can't help you with your question but can you tell us the source?  I've been looking for something like that and never found a source.  Thanks.
(08-21-2020, 07:55 AM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: So I am finishing up a desk so I can have a dedicated space to work from home.  

I have a drawer on the desk that will have a tip down front for a laptop.  I ordered hinges for that task and of course they dont come with instructions.

In looking at other furniture at stores, the drawer bottom is 1/2" and the drawer face has a 1/2" rabbet on the bottom presumably to clear the bottom of the drawer when tipping it out.  The hinges in the store furniture look the same on both halves so not quite what I have to use.

My question is, which half secures to the drawer front and which half secures to the drawer bottom?  Left piece on drawer bottom and right piece on front or vice versa?  Does it even matter?

Does this drawing help ?   LINK
CLICK ON ENLARGE DRAWING for picture The part with the adjustment screw goes on drawer bottom according to picture
Roly
Roly,

Thanks for the link. That's the site where I bought them from. Didnt notice the layout drawing.

The desk is already built and the skirt and drawer front are the same board for grain continuity. I only get one shot at this so I wanted to be sure before i drill bore holes.

I ordered these Monday morning and got them Thursday afternoon. Shipped from Antioch TN, to Chicago via USPS. Not sure what the big hullabaloo is about the mail with certain politicians. Seems to work fine where I live.
So I did a test piece and my observations are, I would prefer these sit flush with both surfaces so I may need to mortice them a bit further than the 35mm bore.

Second thing is the hinge is a little sloppy and loose on the hinge pin. Not the end of the world but a little cheap feeling.

My wife's desk has what looks to be a butler tray hinge which sits flush which would require morticing the whole hinge and rabbetting the bottom edge of the drawer front to clear the drawer bottom.

I am going to check out the other hinge and make a decision.

Attached Files Image(s)

As I recall, I had the same problem with the hinge being flush.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I used these on my wifes desk keyboard drawer.  It integrates the flip down drawer front into the slides so no extra hinges needed.  

https://www.hardwaretree.com/products.ph...wer+Slides
~ Chris
Chris, I wish I had seen those when I built mine.

Tom, looking at your test pieces it looks like when you raise the flap, the bottom edge of it is even with the top edge of what would be the tray. If that's true (?), won't that be a problem....it looks like the bottom edge of the tray will be exposed.
Actually the 1/2" plywood gets covered completely by the drawer front when it folded up. The pivot is in the hinge in the drawer front so the drawer front drops a little when you raise it upright.

I ended up using the hinges vs getting the butler tray hinge. Desk was built to fit a top that I already had in my garage sitting for 5 years. Finally figured I would use it even though it's a little small so it's just a simple writing desk. Minimalist in design using M&T.

I will finish it later on when we add woodflooring to out MB and buy new furniture. I want to make sure color will compliment what we end up going with

Attached Files Image(s)