Starting a painting/finishing station
The project is brightly colored wooden toys.  Currently use a large cardboard box with rattle can paint.  Results are less than I would like. 

Suggestions please on creating a permanent paint/finishing station. 
PS toys are for charity so my budget is not large.
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
(08-23-2020, 08:06 AM)stoppy Wrote: The project is brightly colored wooden toys.  Currently use a large cardboard box with rattle can paint.  Results are less than I would like. 

Suggestions please on creating a permanent paint/finishing station. 
PS toys are for charity so my budget is not large.

A cardboard box might catch the direct overspray but does nothing good with all the aerosol, as I'm sure you have seen.  You need exhaust to carry away the overspray and prevent it from coming back onto the work and back out towards you.  The problem with rattle cans is you can't just hook up a fan on the outlet side and suck the fumes into it for fear of an explosion.  What you really need is a room (could be a temporary plastic enclosure) with a fan blowing air into it and an exhaust to let the overspray out.  Then you can use a cheap box fan to supply the air w/o worry of an explosion.  

John
Thanks - for the suggestions.  My shop is an addition to an existing shop/barn. In that old part is an unused workbench next to a window that those suggestions could be easily implemented. You just made me more work.
Big Grin
Big Grin
Jim

There is a good chance
Broccoli doesn’t like you either.
If you are making a fully enclosed spray station, then exhaust fans are not the best option. 

Take a page from clean room technology.  In a clean room they always strive for a positive atmosphere in the room so that dust is forced out of the room instead of being sucked into the room. 

Additionally you need specially shielded electric motors for an exhaust fan unless you are using water based finishes exclusively.  The fumes are naturally exhausted by the positive atmosphere in the room.  Using vent pipe will allow it to vent to the outdoors.

This illustrates a clean room:

[Image: laminar-flow-technology.jpg]
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
If you are making a fully enclosed spray station, then exhaust fans are not the best option. 

Take a page from clean room technology.  In a clean room they always strive for a positive atmosphere in the room so that dust is forced out of the room instead of being sucked into the room.  The intake air is always filtered.  You should be able to turn on the fan from outside the room so that it is pressurizing the room before opening the door.  This will keep dust out.

Additionally you need specially shielded electric motors for an exhaust fan unless you are using water based finishes exclusively.  The fumes are naturally exhausted by the positive atmosphere in the room.  Using vent pipe will allow it to vent to the outdoors.

This illustrates a clean room:

[Image: laminar-flow-technology.jpg]

If you are making a 5-sided paint station (only one side open) you might still be able to do the same by pressurizing filtered air.
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.