LV HSS Forstner Bits?
I have been patiently waiting for LV to restock its Forstner bits ... since .... I am pretty sure, before last Christmas. Well, I've been waiting for the even sized imperial version. Before I forget why I want them, does anyone recommend another source?
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
I got my LV 5 years ago and love them and easy to sharpen them.  Either ask Lee when they will get them again, but I do not know of anyone else.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
I bought a set this sprong but they appear to be out of stock until Oct 16. Order now and you'll probably have them in Sep.
Thanks,  Curt
-----------------
"Life can only be understood backwards; but it must be lived forwards."
      -- Soren Kierkegaard
I bought these 20 years ago, still going strong. Excellent bits. You might get them cheaper on Amazon.

https://www.toolnut.com/freud-fc-107-sev...8-dia.html
Credo Elvem ipsum etiam vivere
Non impediti ratione cogitationis
Thanks, folks. LV did have the odd dimensions earlier this spring. I was set on the evens, but at the time, the supply date started in the spring, and kept stretching. Now, other than a couple singles, all are gone. I have wondered about carbide tipped; I suppose I can use my paste and powder to learn a new sharpening regimen.
Heirlooms are self-important fiction so build what you like. Someone may find it useful.
(08-27-2020, 11:55 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Thanks, folks. LV did have the odd dimensions earlier this spring. I was set on the evens, but at the time, the supply date started in the spring, and kept stretching. Now, other than a couple singles, all are gone. I have wondered about carbide tipped; I suppose I can use my paste and powder to learn a new sharpening regimen
Hi -
We have bad supply issues here....since ours are a custom run, and a different material (HSS) the plant keeps kicking our orders down the road in order to fill larger ones of lower quality bits. Very frustrating for us too.
For the past two years we have been working on a new line - using custom-built CNC machines and robotic handling .... for a “lights out” process. Not quite ready for prime-time yet....but I do have prototypes of the smaller sizes (the most difficult to make). Can’t quote a date though...
Cheers,
Rob
I have been using these Forstner Bits for around 20 years and they have also served me well. Made in Italy. Available here:

Freud Carbide Forstner Bit Set

(09-06-2020, 09:04 AM)Rob Lee Wrote: Hi -
We have bad supply issues here....since ours are a custom run, and a different material (HSS) the plant keeps kicking our orders down the road in order to fill larger ones of lower quality bits. Very frustrating for us too.
For the past two years we have been working on a new line - using custom-built CNC machines and robotic handling .... for a “lights out” process. Not quite ready for prime-time yet....but I do have prototypes of the smaller sizes (the most difficult to make). Can’t quote a date though...
Cheers,
Rob

Thank you Rob. It never occured to me until these drill bits, that I have developed a strong trust in LV products. A really strong bias. In this query I am reaching out for confirmation in choosing an alternative source. It's so easy to open the web catalog and pick what I want.
(09-06-2020, 10:47 AM)hbmcc Wrote: Thank you Rob. It never occured to me until these drill bits, that I have developed a strong trust in LV products. A really strong bias. In this query I am reaching out for confirmation in choosing an alternative source. It's so easy to open the web catalog and pick what I want.

I have a set of Bad Dogs....amazing tools......!!!!!

https://www.baddogtools.com/product/z-rover-bit-a-set/
Often Tested.    Always Faithful.      Brothers Forever

Jack Edgar, Sgt. U.S. Marines, Korea, America's Forgotten War
Get off my lawn !
Upset

(09-06-2020, 09:55 AM)Philip1231 Wrote: I have been using these Forstner Bits for around 20 years and they have also served me well. Made in Italy. Available here:

Freud Carbide Forstner Bit Set

Thanks Philip. I ordered the same set. Now, I hope I can maintain the carbide and keep them sharp!