Tenon jig, build or buy
So I recently completed a simple, small writing desk, m&t joinery. I free handed the tenons holding the board vertical against the fence and a two point push stick.

The short tenons were not too bad but the longer piece was a struggle to keep perfectly upright and made me nervous.

My wife wants new office furniture which means a much larger desk and bigger pieces to tenon.

Should I go with a cast iron one, all brands seem similar or build one that slides over the tables fence?

It would be one of those purchases that sits and collects dust for the majority of its life but when its needed sure comes in handy and is safer, I still have all 10 digits and would like to keep it that way.

Your thoughts?
I use Rockler's Beadlock floating tenon jig.  It costs a good bit more now than when I bought mine, but looks more substantial, so perhaps worth the extra money.

I have only the 3/8" size, which works fine for 3/4" thick stock.

It is easy to use and probably faster than cutting tenons.  If you are doing a lot of these then buy the router bit for making your own floating tenons.

https://www.rockler.com/shop?w=beadlock
No animals were injured or killed in the production of this post.
I bought and still have a Delta tenon jig I used on my Unisaw. I changed saws and the jig won't work on the new one. If you were nearby I'd give it to you. Even though the jig did sit more than it worked I'd like to have one for the current saw. I'm pretty sure I'll just make one...it isn't that tough.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
I received a Delta jig as a gift years ago

I don’t use it all the time but when I do I like the fine adjustments knob. More accurate than tapping the rip fence.

I’m using it again in about a month when summer winds down and I head back to the basement shop. I’ve been using the cut-and-flip method for years but will switch to the spacer method this fall.

If I didn’t get one as a gift I’d probably just make one. Never heard a massive opinion one way or the other in bought versus built.

Tom McLaughlin has a you tube video from a few months ago where he builds one. Very detailed.

Mike
If you have the money, and plan on doing a lot of M&T joinery, a floating tenon jig or tool is a time save. I have a Festool Domino. It's super accurate, VERY quick, and very flexible. With a router table, it's easy to make your own tenon inserts. If you're into Arts & Crafts type furniture, a Festool Domino will save you tons of time. Works so well for me, I sold my tenon hand saw. There are some occasions you'll maybe need to a through tenon. In that case, use the method you're using now.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A tenon jig is pretty simple.  I built one that is essentially a box that attaches to my miter gauge fence.  It works great and is very adjustable. There are lots of other options as well.  

The Domino is a really cool looking setup though. If you have the money.  Although there are home built options for that too.
It's a lot easier to cut tenons with the stock flat on your TS.  Use a dado blade and the fence to control the length.  You don't need to buy anything, except a dado set if you don't already have one.  You'll want one for 10 other reasons besides cutting tenons.  

Or use your router table with the stock flat on the table.  

Or build or buy my horizontal router mortiser, which makes mortises, integral tenons, and a whole bunch more.  

John
Free video, free measured drawings, a design I worked up using MicroJig clamps and hardware.
https://www.woodcademy.com/skillbuilding...-tenon-jig

Ralph Bagnall
www.woodcademy.com
Watch Woodcademy TV free on our website.
(08-26-2020, 01:15 PM)WoodworkerTom Wrote: Your thoughts?

Post you general location (the WN software change deleted it from our profiles).

If there is someone nearby they may offer to loan, sell, or give you one if theirs is just collecting dust.
"the most important safety feature on any tool is the one between your ears." - Ken Vick

A wish for you all:  May you keep buying green bananas.
^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^
What iclark said.  I have two and would be happy to loan one.
"I tried being reasonable..........I didn't like it." Clint Eastwood