advisement
I've used a Lufkin inside reading, folding 6' rule for well over forty years. The rule reads from L to R one way unfolded and R to L the other way. A rule lasts me about a year, and inside reading rules are getting hard to find.

Amazon has them, but I would advise not to buy one via the web and search out a local vendor. Why? Well the product had printing missing from about 1/4" of one end (I could probably live with that), however the ends were not lined up when assembled into the metal swivel hinges. Net effect? Open the rule one way, it was off 1/8" reading from the other way. Comparing a tape against the rule, showed variations up to 1/16" at various places.

I did find one that was great at a local Ace Hardware.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
Any differences in country of origin?

Any of these gadgets still made in the US?
Many years ago, I wanted an inside reading folding rule. I took my tape measure and compared it to an 8' rip off of our CNC panel saw so I knew it was correct. When I went to the local True Value, I had to look at 5 folding rules to find one that was accurate. The others were all 1/16" short. I feel your pain and frustration.
I no longer build museums but don't want to change my name. My new job is a lot less stressful. Life is much better.

Garry
Is this something you've observed on just one purchase from Amazon, or is this something that's common to all of them purchased through Amazon. It's pretty easy to return things to Amazon if they are defective.
Still Learning,

Allan Hill
A Sunday morning spent at a good flea market would likely yield a lifetime supply, if that’s your thing.
(08-29-2020, 09:45 AM)Phil Thien Wrote: Any differences in country of origin?

Any of these gadgets still made in the US?

Both the Amazon and Ace have packaging marked "Assemblec in Mexico with components from United States and imported".
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-29-2020, 04:38 PM)AHill Wrote: Is this something you've observed on just one purchase from Amazon, or is this something that's common to all of them purchased through Amazon.  It's pretty easy to return things to Amazon if they are defective.

Pre-COVID, I purchased most MROs (consumables and others)for my manufacturing plant through Amazon, with a monthly spend between $5,000 and 7,000 per month. Goods are pretty much as described and when not, I've seldom have an issue with returns. The rule advisement is just that, to check this item if ordered online (not just Amazon).

When I started my carpenter's apprenticeship in the mid 70's, I was at a local hardware with a journeyman that was looking for a 4' level. When I questioned why he was checking every one, he proceeded to show me variations in many tools, and how to verify which were accurate (squares, rules, levels), as well as the different feel that identical hammers would have (I used hickory handled 16 oz. claw hammer).
www.metaltech-pm.com
Yes........same problems with roofing squares.

When I find 2 new ones that lay together, I will purchase one of those.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-30-2020, 04:38 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes........same problems with roofing squares.

When I find 2 new ones that lay together, I will purchase one of those.

Framing squares can be adjusted (never have done it, though!), but (most) levels are not! Hammers have got to feel good in your hand.
www.metaltech-pm.com
(08-31-2020, 04:44 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Framing squares can be adjusted (never have done it, though!), but (most) levels are not!  Hammers have got to feel good in your hand.

Yes. Hammer and punch.
But I don't feel like I should have to adjust a new square
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020