advisement
(08-31-2020, 01:47 PM)Stwood_ Wrote: Yes. Hammer and punch.
But I don't feel like I should have to adjust a new square

Nope! Plus what is the main use of a framing square (and accuracy required)? Cutting out rafters or stair stringers!
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
(09-01-2020, 05:10 AM)Tony Z Wrote: Nope!  Plus what is the main use of a framing square (and accuracy required)?  Cutting out rafters or stair stringers!

I use one in the shop a lot for ck'in square on panels, and squaring boxes.

I do have one that is used outside for framing.....or a loaner.
Laugh
Steve

Mo.

I miss the days of using my dinghy with a girlfriend too. Zack Butler-4/18/24

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-29-2020, 08:51 AM)Tony Z Wrote: I've used a Lufkin inside reading, folding 6' rule for well over forty years.  The rule reads from L to R one way unfolded and R to L the other way.  A rule lasts me about a year, and inside reading rules are getting hard to find.

Amazon has them, but I would advise not to buy one via the web and search out a local vendor.  Why?  Well the product had printing missing from about 1/4" of one end (I could probably live with that), however the ends were not lined up when assembled into the metal swivel hinges.  Net effect?  Open the rule one way, it was off 1/8" reading from the other way.  Comparing a tape against the rule, showed variations up to 1/16" at various places.

I did find one that was great at a local Ace Hardware.

Not really an answer to your question, but did you ever hear of the Dahl Master Slide Rule?  They don't make them anymore, but I found one at a flea market a few years ago.  It's perfect for taking inside measurements.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?

(09-02-2020, 08:57 AM)Bill Wilson Wrote: Not really an answer to your question, but did you ever hear of the Dahl Master Slide Rule?  They don't make them anymore, but I found one at a flea market a few years ago.  It's perfect for taking inside measurements.

Have not heard of it, Bill! I'll look it up, so I know what to watch for.

Hazen Flea Market is shut down until next year. However, in two weeks, the Nittany Tractor Show still appears to be happening. Located in Centre Hall, PA (for exact dates and a map, search the web for "Nittany Tractor Show), lots of farm equipment, "hit & miss" engines, and an absolutely huge flea market.
Waiting to grow up beyond being just a member
www.metaltech-pm.com
This is the best description I could find of how it works.

https://books.google.com/books?id=o1JYAA...le&f=false

I had no idea what I was getting when I bought it.  I thought it was just a cool wooden ruler that extended via a sliding mechanism, rather than the pivoting joints of the standard zig-zag ruler.  When I got it home and started playing around with it, I thought the scale was mis-marked on one side.  Then I discovered it was marked that way specifically to make accurate inside measurements.  I thought it was a brilliant concept and wonder why no one makes one like this anymore.  Probably too expensive to produce.
If you are going down a river at 2 mph and your canoe loses a wheel, how much pancake mix would you need to shingle your roof?