Couple band saw boxes
Watched these FWW videos by Michael Cullen and liked his approach so decided to take a stab at something I'd never done. I like the look of the box he makes in video #6 & 7 so dug in. I'm no carver and with arthritis making it's way thru my hands decided to skip the carving and go for my personal favorite, Bush Oil. BTW, I think these videos are available to watch without a subscription.

I had a perfectly QS cedar 4x4 for my first victim. I do love QS grain so decided to cut off one side to make the top. That was my first mistake. As I went thru the process I got to the point of fitting the top and realized that from the side the top looked like it came from a different piece of lumber.  Grrrrrrrr.

I should have cut the top from the actual top of the piece, then it would have looked like it belonged with the box. Bugged me so much I got out a rattle can of black and painted the %%$#@@ thing.

My next victim was a chunk of douglas fir 4x4. This one faired better but still has it's issues. To start with I was cutting on a 1/2 hp band saw which made for pretty slow going in the harder wood,  even with a 4 tpi blade. Michael recommends 6 tpi which I'm sure would give a much smoother finish. He doesn't appear to sand the inside of his boxes, the ones I make sure need sanding. 

Making these is sort of counter intuitive as you cut out the inside first. I didn't leave enough material on the outside so ended up with flat straight ends instead of a vertical taper like the sides of the box. Also, I decided to paint the insides of the box black to disguise some poor cuts. Unfortunately I painted all the way down the sides before gluing in the bottom so ended up with a fugly paint bleed line. Another Grrrrrr.

Here's the end showing the sides do taper bottom to top.

In order to a) hide the paint bleed and b) raise the bottom to add a shadow line and c) disguise a sanding round over I added a piece of black self adhesive plastic padding to the bottom. This shows the inside of the top painted as well.

Here's a couple more photos. The knob is kingwood, first time I've ever used it in any way. It is wicked hard but turned well and took a great finish with Behelen's friction polish.

These are fun to build, starting another tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

g
I've only had one...in dog beers.

"You can see the stars and still not see the light"
The Eagles: Already Gone
Next time, you can order flocking in your color choice.
Flock the drawer slots if they are a bit sloppy, and the drawer interiors.
Makes a classy look.
Jim in Okie
You can tell a lot about the character of a man -
By the way he treats those who can do nothing for him.
Very cool, bandsaw boxes are very high on my list of to-do items.
I started with absolutely nothing. Now, thanks to years of hard work, careful planning, and perseverance, I find I still have most of it left.
Jim,
Thanks, just ordered a flocking kit and some self adhesive velvet sheets Mind boggling number of choices at the Zon including, of all things, "Flock in a Box." Go figure.

Fred,
Thanks! Check out the videos when you have a few minutes. I think they're maybe 10 minutes without a lot of BS.

g

Good work!  I will look to see more you do in the future.
As of this time I am not teaching vets to turn. Also please do not send any items to me without prior notification.  Thank You Everyone.

It is always the right time, to do the right thing.
Looks good. You'll learn more as time goes on.
Steve

Missouri

The Revos apparently are designed to clamp railroad ties and pull together horrifically prepared joints
WaterlooMark 02/9/2020

(08-31-2020, 09:24 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Watched these FWW videos by Michael Cullen and liked his approach so decided to take a stab at something I'd never done. I like the look of the box he makes in video #6 & 7 so dug in. I'm no carver and with arthritis making it's way thru my hands decided to skip the carving and go for my personal favorite, Bush Oil. BTW, I think these videos are available to watch without a subscription.

These are fun to build, starting another tomorrow. Thanks for looking,

g

Very nice work! Flocking is pretty easy and makes a nice finishing touch.

--
See ya later,
Bill
Fred: Thanks, I'm finding these to be enjoyable work.

Arlin: Thanks, there's a few more in the pipeline

Steve: True, but I learn slowly. Real slowly.

Bill: The process appears to be easy but it must make one he**uva mess.

g

(09-08-2020, 09:20 PM)shoottmx Wrote: Bill: The process appears to be easy but it must make one he**uva mess.

g

Not really. Put some newspaper down. The flocking material sticks to the glued surface. After application fold the newspaper in half and drop the excess back into the original container. 

---
See ya later,
Bill
I watched those FWW videos and fully planned on taking a stab at making them. Time went by and I totally forgot about it. Time to dig through the scrap bin and see if I can find a likely hunk of wood big enough.
Telling a man he has too many tools,
is like telling a woman she has too many shoes.